How do you promote healthy relations..

fshinggrl

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
the edge of insanity
...between the bird dog and the chicks?
gig.gif
The chicks are in the coop and the coops is in the chicken wire.. but the dog sees the chicks and
droolin.gif
drools!!! She is a very good dog. She is well trained, and not in the hunting sense. HOpefully it will just take time..
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
She isn't generally out without me...

She is an 8 year old golden retriever.
29942_2009_may_chickens_3_weeks_old_6_byc.jpg

edited to fix a smilie or two

Last edited:
I read the title and thought you meant between you and your SO...
UMMM... so not going there!
hide.gif

For me, I had my dogs "down, stay" and brought the chickens over to them. They could smell them, but I would correct them quickly if they got too interested....
big_smile.png

My boder collie was the same way. She would just sit and stare. Until............
One day my youngest daughter accidently left the gate open to the yard where I keep my chicken tractor.
Within a few minutes. All three of my barred rocks were dog food.
Until that moment, she had not made any threatning moves or growls or anything. Then, SNAP, killing spree!
I will never evey allow dogs around my chickens again. Now there are 3 gates between my dog and my chickens.

I do understand that the dog will never be 100% trusted. We have a neighbor who has several dogs, and several were added on to their household throughout the years and free ranged chickens. Unfortunately a weasel got his entire flock in the chicken coop one night.. but they had no issues with dogs. Thanks!

My dogs are out with my chickens all day. Never had a problem, and one of them is a Queensland Heeler X Coyote cross. Training and exposure is a huge part of having a healthy relationship between your dogs and chickens. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom