How do you sexed guineas???

jackrooster

Songster
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Maine
I am wanting to get some guinea's and i cant fine anyone around me that has any and so i thought that i would order from a hatchery instead buuut i dont want all kinds of males......soo my quetion is how do i sex guineas?

Guineas are most easily sexed by the sound they make. Only females will make a 2 syllable call. You have to wait until they get a bit past only peeps before the hens will start to make their typical sound.

When it comes to Guineas, the females are by far much noisier than the males. The females are the ones who make the "buck-wheat, buck-wheat" sound while the males make a "chi-chi" kind of sound. There is a very distinct difference and once they start, it'll be easy for you to tell the males from the females.
big_smile.png

On the males the wattles will be cup shaped and on the females they will lay more flat. A very accurate way is to feel the pelvic bones. The males are very close together (almost touching) the females are much much wider. Think about it, they have to be so she can pass an egg.
smile.png

Steve

Jackrooster I'm late on this, but wanted to point out that guineas mate singly...it's not like chickens where you want to have a bunch of hens and only one rooster.

If you end up with half and half, you'll be fine.

As far as I know, hatcheries do not offer sexed guineas.

No, not really. If you have more males you might see more battles for dominance during breeding season but its pretty entertaining. There is the thing called "the chase" that involves two males chasing each other. Or maybe I should say one male chasing another. It can go on for hours with two birds zipping by, around buildings, around trees. If you step in and try to stop it the chasee will come back to pick up the chaser and it will begin again.

I've seen a chase bird stop chasing and had the bird being chased come back and aggravate the other to get him to start the chase again.

My flock dynamic is something like three to one, males being the three.

Speckledhen, would it be possible to put up a sticky some where in the Guinea Fowl index with a link to a site that shows the Female Guinea Fowl Call ?

In any event, this should help you identify your female Guinea Hens.

They start to call around 8 weeks of age.

I have been known to sit in the nursery until I have identified ALL my Females and then i band them with Chicken leg bands for life.

Hope this helps, here is one site ....

G.G.

I was also curious if Guineas show their sex with their legs like chickens sometimes do?

Example- lay a chick on its back (in your palm)- if it draws its legs in supposedly its a female, and if it pushes out its legs, supposedly itrs a roo.
(I'm not claiming accuracy- just an old fashioned way used around my parts)

Or if you could vent check them?

Anyone try either??

Back
Top Bottom