HOW do you show chickens?

blaundee

Songster
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
When you show your chickens, do you have to handle them in a class at a certain time for them to be judged, or do you just leave them in the cage and the judge comes around and handles them himself? (I have no real experience showing chickens, but lots of experience showing horses and goats- if you don't bring them to the ring for their class, you don't participate in that class.)

The birds stay in the cages and the judges come too them. except for showmanship where you take the birds to the judge and you are judged on the condition of the bird and your knowledge of the bird. showmanship is for juniors my daughter Kaylee uses her Polish
38899_100_1009.jpg

mr. birdaholic :

How I show my birds....... I take people to the barn. "See my birds?" That's how!
lau.gif
gig.gif
hide.gif
Uh.....sorry.
duc.gif

tongue.png

Last year when I was asking this question, somebody gave me a very funny answer. I think it was Mrs. Porto who told me that I go to the show, put my chickens in their cages, yak and yak for a few hours, and then pick up my ribbons and birds and go home! Easy peasy!

mr. birdaholic :

How I show my birds....... I take people to the barn. "See my birds?" That's how!
lau.gif
gig.gif
hide.gif
Uh.....sorry.
duc.gif

That's a good idea. I just take a mirror out to the coop and set it in front of them.

Some days I just CAN'T do SERIOUS. HA!​

Last edited:
I thought the birds had to be handled since chick so it would acustomed to people being around them instead of slamming themselves silly about being caught. Or judges don't care if the bird has been handled at all? Just show up for show, nice and clean.

Quote:
Yeah, you want them nice and tame, and healthy, and pretty, but once you get there, there's not a lot to do.

Back
Top Bottom