1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HOW do you show chickens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blaundee, Jan 15, 2011.

1. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    When you show your chickens, do you have to handle them in a class at a certain time for them to be judged, or do you just leave them in the cage and the judge comes around and handles them himself? (I have no real experience showing chickens, but lots of experience showing horses and goats- if you don't bring them to the ring for their class, you don't participate in that class.)

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    The birds stay in the cages and the judges come too them. except for showmanship where you take the birds to the judge and you are judged on the condition of the bird and your knowledge of the bird. showmanship is for juniors my daughter Kaylee uses her Polish
    [​IMG]

3. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    Thanks! [​IMG]

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

How I show my birds....... I take people to the barn. "See my birds?" That's how! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Uh.....sorry. [​IMG]

5. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    mr. birdaholic :

How I show my birds....... I take people to the barn. "See my birds?" That's how! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Uh.....sorry. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Last year when I was asking this question, somebody gave me a very funny answer. I think it was Mrs. Porto who told me that I go to the show, put my chickens in their cages, yak and yak for a few hours, and then pick up my ribbons and birds and go home! Easy peasy!

7. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    mr. birdaholic :

That's a good idea. I just take a mirror out to the coop and set it in front of them.

Some days I just CAN'T do SERIOUS. HA!​

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I thought the birds had to be handled since chick so it would acustomed to people being around them instead of slamming themselves silly about being caught. Or judges don't care if the bird has been handled at all? Just show up for show, nice and clean.

9. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Quote:Yeah, you want them nice and tame, and healthy, and pretty, but once you get there, there's not a lot to do.

10. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    I do groom my birds before and during the show just prior to judging. I want them to look their best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by