How do you store your eggs?

I have a metal spiral skelter on the kitchen island for non-refrigerated chicken eggs, and a mini chicken wire basket for quail eggs, for when I know that I'll be cooking within a couple days. (Room temp eggs are much easier to cook with.) Otherwise I have a separate fridge in the basement near the chicken coop that holds the dog food, chicken veggies/treats, and eggs. I sell occasionally to friends so I store the cleaner eggs unwashed in those, and put the 'dirty' eggs in a flat carton on another shelf for personal use or wash and give to my mom. I only have 4 hens but average 3 eggs a day, so I keep track of which dozen carton was filled first if I'm selling but otherwise don't worry too much as they're never more than a couple weeks old. Quail eggs go into the plastic cartons that blueberries/strawberries come in form the store and I put 2.5 dozen or so in each container.

20180723_045513.jpg

I store unwashed eggs in these baskets in my kitchen. They go in the top basket, when full I rotate them to the bottom putting the newest eggs in first, then refill the top basket.

I have no method yet. I got an egg basket for the counter and I've been putting them in there. I actually have only used one duck egg and I gave it to my dog. They are raw fed and the dog went for the egg before the meat. I'm going to scramble some today and tomorrow and everyone will get done(me, dogs, chickens, ducks). I only have 3 layers right now, so it's not crazy yet.

We have a nice big bowl that they live in until Thursday night. Friday they go to work with DW who sells the lot. There's no order by which they go into the cartons, we just try to make the arrangements look nice with our different colours (green, chocolate, cream, white, silkie, brown, pink, but still no blues!).

Of our 17 girls, we get about 8-10 a day right now, and that's increasing as the days are getting longer down here in the southern hemisphere.

Back
Top Bottom