How do you store your eggs?

Frecky45

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 21, 2012
Gladstone, Oregon
I'm wondering how you store your eggs. I know some people talk about not refrigerating their eggs. I'm wondering how long they would keep and what is the advantage in doing so.

Eggs could stay quite edible sitting on the counter for a few weeks, provided the room you store them in is not too hot, but they will age much slower in the fridge.

I leave mine out. I generally eat them within a week or two. I think a month is the longest I have ever left them. Never had a problem.

If I wash them I put them in the frig.

I leave them out because I like the way they look and there is really no need to put them in the frig. The egg has a bloom that keeps bacteria out and I would rather not ruin that bloom. If you refrig them they sweat and the bloom will be ruined.

Store eggs are a different story.

Last edited:
I wash mine (way too much poop and whatnot on them for me to consider not doing so!) and then put them in the fridge. They might sit on the counter for a day while I'm filling up the carton. When I want some to hardboil I put them on the counter for a few days first so they'll be easier to peel.

I wash mine (way too much poop and whatnot on them for me to consider not doing so!) and then put them in the fridge. They might sit on the counter for a day while I'm filling up the carton.
goodpost.gif
I do the same because that way I keep track of what is older. I stack them in the fridge in a certain order so that I know which are older and I use the oldest ones for boiling because they are easier to peel than the freshest. However if I had that cool holder I could leave them out longer as I could tell which ones are older based on position. I know some people that date each egg before they put it in the fridge. They must have more free time than I do.
hu.gif

I leave mine out. I generally eat them within a week or two. I think a month is the longest I have ever left them. Never had a problem.

If I wash them I put them in the frig.

I leave them out because I like the way they look and there is really no need to put them in the frig. The egg has a bloom that keeps bacteria out and I would rather not ruin that bloom. If you refrig them they sweat and the bloom will be ruined.

Store eggs are a different story.

Exactly what I do.. In most times of the year.. But right now my house is very warm from the wood stove, and the eggs I collect have been sitting in a VERY cold barn all day. So cold to quite warm is not a good idea. I have them in the fridge now, though I hate to do so.

Hatching eggs go in the basement, but it's too much of a pain to go get the eating eggs every time you are ready for breakfast. :p

Love your egg holder!

Back
Top Bottom