How do you tell your chickens apart?

dodgewoman

Songster
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
I can't seem to tell all of my chickens apart! I'd like to be exactly sure who is who! A few we can tell apart b/c of their distinct markings. The rest all look to similar to me. How to you tell yours apart? My mom told me to mark there feet
hu.gif

We have a lot of barred rocks and the only way we can tell them apart is their combs are not always the same. One will lean one way, one will be short or one will be pointy.....so on so forth also they some times have different expressions on their faces we have one hen that got stuck in a hole when the ground dried up here in texas the land split open and we wasnt aware of her being down there until we noticed her missing so no telling how many hours she spent down there but she laid calm picking at the grass around her now she has a funny criss cross walk makes her look prissy.

You just have to spend time watching them ( Not saying you don't ) but thats the only way i can tell mine apart is cause we have watched them as entertainment then slowly I could see personalities differ from each other.

I hope this helps :)

I was thinking letting their personalities shine as well. There combs are not developed much at all yet as they are still very young. I need an excuse to just sit by the run and watch them more so this is what I can tell hubby when he think's I've gone of the deep end again, lol

I agree with StormyMoon. Sometimes it might be a crooked toe or a spot on a comb. Some times I know by who the hen is hanging with. I notice alot of times mine hang out in groups of twos or threes. some hang with the rooster. Their behaviors are usually the biggest clue to who is who. I have one GLW chick that jumps in the turkey pen. She just wants to cuddle and keep them warm. For the turkeys own good, I kick her out.

Many of my white Japanese Bantams look the same to most people. However, after taking care of them for many months I can tell them all apart easily. Some are slightly smaller or bigger than others, some have different comb shapes, some have slightly different colour faces or legs, or carry themselves differently. I think if you have about 10 then you will be able to tell them apart in the end.

What colour are they? If they are white, you could dye then different colours with food colouring!

I was thinking letting their personalities shine as well. There combs are not developed much at all yet as they are still very young. I need an excuse to just sit by the run and watch them more so this is what I can tell hubby when he think's I've gone of the deep end again, lol
Mine thought I was losing it too, then gave up and decided to come out and have coffee one day. It was all over then. Now I have to wait for him 9/10 times to put them up or let them out so he can watch!

Many of my white Japanese Bantams look the same to most people. However, after taking care of them for many months I can tell them all apart easily. Some are slightly smaller or bigger than others, some have different comb shapes, some have slightly different colour faces or legs, or carry themselves differently. I think if you have about 10 then you will be able to tell them apart in the end.

What colour are they? If they are white, you could dye then different colours with food colouring!
Just don't use red. If you do, you will be able to tell them apart easily by how many feathers are missing!

Quote:

I have heard of people using those ties the plastic ones you can get them in different colors at TSC but yea never put anything red
on chickens lol they will make who ever has red on a victim of abuse.

I tried string around the leg once and no matter what color I used they would chase that poor chick all around the brooder.

Let them get a little older and see if they will shine their own personalities to you its better for them in the long run.

The easiest, cheapest way to mark chicks or adults is to pick up a bag of colored plastic hair bands, assorted sizes, and put them on the legs. If you have more chicks than colors, use two bands of differing color combinations.

After a while, I can differentiate many of my chickens by their voices and habits. One will always try to hop onto my back as I'm raking poop from under the coop, while another always pecks the back of my leg, etc. They're all as different as people are from one another.

I agree with StormyMoon. Sometimes it might be a crooked toe or a spot on a comb. Some times I know by who the hen is hanging with. I notice alot of times mine hang out in groups of twos or threes. some hang with the rooster. Their behaviors are usually the biggest clue to who is who. I have one GLW chick that jumps in the turkey pen. She just wants to cuddle and keep them warm. For the turkeys own good, I kick her out.
I haven't noticed them hanging with certain ones yet but I will look out for that!

None are white, although some have white on them. Too funny, never thought of food coloring!

Mine thought I was losing it too, then gave up and decided to come out and have coffee one day. It was all over then. Now I have to wait for him 9/10 times to put them up or let them out so he can watch!
LOL, I think my DH will get smitten soon too.

I have heard of people using those ties the plastic ones you can get them in different colors at TSC but yea never put anything red
on chickens lol they will make who ever has red on a victim of abuse.

I tried string around the leg once and no matter what color I used they would chase that poor chick all around the brooder.

Let them get a little older and see if they will shine their own personalities to you its better for them in the long run.
I thought about doing something like that but I was worried I would seem cruel in a way, not sure why as my parents have bands on them!

The easiest, cheapest way to mark chicks or adults is to pick up a bag of colored plastic hair bands, assorted sizes, and put them on the legs. If you have more chicks than colors, use two bands of differing color combinations.

After a while, I can differentiate many of my chickens by their voices and habits. One will always try to hop onto my back as I'm raking poop from under the coop, while another always pecks the back of my leg, etc. They're all as different as people are from one another.
Oh hair bands! Good idea. I have noticed the past few days that one has this super squeak she does.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Back
Top Bottom