How do you unplug a baby chick

Alleyoops25

Songster
12 Years
May 14, 2007
Colorado
I have 30 little Crevecours babies, all have been happy and healthy until today. And one little baby is having problems pooping. He has a clean rear end and non of the others seem to have this problem just him . They all are eating the standard chick food from Murdochs , and they are getting grit , and i have been adding electrolytes to thier water. Any body have any ideas?

I noticed it seemed to act in pain and was pushing really hard when i picked it up i looked at his butt and there was poop that wasn't getting past the vent. I got a diapher wipe and kind of helped it out by wiping at it, it came loose ,and came out. I never thought that a chicken would ever have this problem. But this little guy sure does. I have treid the molasses and put him by him self and I havent seen any well you know.
wink.png
But he is drinking and eating . Oh and its vent looks raw, and swollen. I know this is gross but but it is what it is. I am wondering if I need to add more grit to his diet. I can tell he aint feeling well, but he doesnt looked like he is near death. these guys are about two and a half, to three weeks old .Any way I think I need more ideas, if someone has got them .

Last edited:
do u have him in shavings? one of mine did the same thing she ate a small chunk and it got stuck right at her vent! Poor girl! I got it out with a pair of tweezers but be cautious i had a heck of a time figureing it out! I thought she was all gummed up at first and called my vet who said to give her 1cc of prune juice every 3hrs till she was regular! but after 3 days of that i happened to look and see it because of the swelling! good luck!

those birds do not need grit when they are eating only chick starter...this is not advised and can even cause an impaction.

Thanks aliena614. I will also try the prune juice. I dont keep the chicks in any type of bedding. I have a commercial type of brooder .It has its own heater to keep them warm. and they are on a screen that thier dropping fall through and are caught on the tray below.

Back
Top Bottom