How do you use up little tiny pullet eggs?

Casey3043

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2009
Simpsonville, South Carolina
I fill my cartons with the large eggs to give away, and use up the little eggs at home. This leaves me with many, many very small eggs to use up. Here are some of the ways I get rid of them:

Of course I gravitate to recipes that use eggs, but if you have a favorite bread machine recipe that doesn't call for eggs, you can still add one little one. It won't hurt--just decrease the water or milk a little. I like to use an egg in every loaf of bread I make for extra nutrition.

Bite-size deviled eggs are a big hit, especially with kids. They are really cute and everyone wonders where you got them. Don't forget to cut the cooking time--only about 10-12 min in the hot water, instead of 15.

Of course, scrambled is always good.

If a recipe calls for one egg, two pullet eggs are about the same, but not always, since they vary so much in size.

Anybody else have ideas?

jumpy.gif

You can still sell those tiny pullet eggs for a lower price. For example, I have a customer that requests 2 dozen of the "baby eggs" (as she calls them) every week. She uses the tiny eggs to make pickled eggs. I sell them to her for $1.00 a dozen. I use to use the eggs for my breakfast and baking but the popularity of the pullet eggs has increased. I can't even keep those around. Have you thought about selling them? Just lower the price $0.50 or so if you want to do that.

Quote:
I was wondering that exact same thing!
smile.png
Can't wait to see what others say. In recipes it call for, example, 4 large eggs. Not small eggs. LARGE eggs.

I'm going to make some pickled eggs with them. I've been just using them two to one for large eggs.

Quote:
Brilliant!
thumbsup.gif

My husband and I have been tossing that idea around too! I used to eat pickled quail eggs like popcorn as a kid...not sure I can stomach it now! But worth a try! Any reliable recipes out there?

Last edited:
I've been wondering about cooking with fresh eggs, if there's any extra training available. Have you ever noticed that fresh eggs bake differently? And merengue from fresh eggs poofs up VERY FAST?!

so maybe small eggs would be just right for what I need: our glutenfree bread baking. We have to cut the eggs in the recipe by half, if we want a 'normal' looking loaf of bread. If we use the 3 eggs called for on the package, our bread poofs out like a giant pudding in the oven, like souffle bread! Its funny but hard to make sandwiches for lunchboxes. So we learned to break eggs, mix them, and measure by the half-cup for our favorite packaged bread mix.

Have to be gluten free or die. The premade bread from most of the glutenfree companies only sell loaves which are 2/3 the size of normal WonderBread type sandwich bread. So our little Rosecomb's small eggs fit just right inside the small bread for egg-in-toast or what we call "Moon-Over-Miami". I bet these would make a very pretty luncheon snack on smaller sized fancy bread, like pumpernickel for high tea.

Wow! Baking gluten-free bread would be a challenge, for sure. Gluten is what holds bread together. In fact, I had to buy a bag of gluten flour for some new recipes I wanted to try. It was quite pricey--over $7 for a 22 oz. bag. But then, you only use 1 or 2 tablespoons per loaf, added to the regular flour.

I hadn't noticed that the freshness of the eggs made any difference, but then all my eggs are really fresh! In fact, I try to go out to the coop and get a warm egg when I am making bread. I like to have all my ingredients nice and warm!

I love all the suggestions so far! I have never made pickled eggs, but I'm ready to try. Using the pullet eggs for the milk-and-egg mixture for crumb coating for chops or fish is great, too. I usually have a lot of this left over, too. Small eggs wouldn't waste so much.

D.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom