How do you use up little tiny pullet eggs?

that's a great idea, I can't believe I didn't think of it. I guess I was just sort of shocked to hear about my stove. Hate the dern thing but can't justify a new one.
I have a screened back porch that I will from now on be using for canning, as I live in south florida and hate to heat up the house!

THANKS!

My uses for pullet eggs:

Scramble them omelette style with my garden veggies.
Hard boil them. (eat them or put them in potato salad)
Bake with them. (I just add an extra egg since they are small)

I do tend to sell my larger eggs first, but I have a customer that loves the blue eggs even though they are small.

FWIW, I initially freaked about my stove, but then dug deeper. It's an oldie (analog anyone?) glass top, but it has NO problem bringing my big canner to a full boil, and keeping it boiling for as long as I want (usually up to 45 mins for tomatoes). I secretly believe the cooktop is made of titanium or something, from the abuse I give it.

Besides which, it was $50. If it ever breaks (and I don't think it will) it was a darn good $50.
smile.png

How long to most pullets lay small eggs? I have 3 pullets that are 29 weeks old they have been laying now for 2 1/2 months and their eggs are normal large store bought egg size. Do other chickens lay small eggs for a long time? My three only laid tiny eggs for like 3 days.

6chickens in St. Charles :

I've been wondering about cooking with fresh eggs, if there's any extra training available. Have you ever noticed that fresh eggs bake differently? And merengue from fresh eggs poofs up VERY FAST?!

so maybe small eggs would be just right for what I need: our glutenfree bread baking. We have to cut the eggs in the recipe by half, if we want a 'normal' looking loaf of bread. If we use the 3 eggs called for on the package, our bread poofs out like a giant pudding in the oven, like souffle bread! Its funny but hard to make sandwiches for lunchboxes. So we learned to break eggs, mix them, and measure by the half-cup for our favorite packaged bread mix.

Have to be gluten free or die. The premade bread from most of the glutenfree companies only sell loaves which are 2/3 the size of normal WonderBread type sandwich bread. So our little Rosecomb's small eggs fit just right inside the small bread for egg-in-toast or what we call "Moon-Over-Miami". I bet these would make a very pretty luncheon snack on smaller sized fancy bread, like pumpernickel for high tea.

From February, for valentines' day:
25976_p140211_0732.jpg

My 10 yro just scrambles them up, 6 or 8 at a time, what ever is not eaten by him or me or dad, we give to the chickens.

So far that is all that we have done with them. Each of them have weighed about 1.5 oz each, so not sure how many it would take to put in a cake mix or something???

I have Rosecombs and their eggs are just the perfect size for deviled eggs, boiled eggs for salads, etc. I have to snatch the ones away that I want to incubate. I love my little black hens!! Silkie eggs are also a good size for snacks and party trays.

Like some of you, we colored the little eggs for Easter. We always felt special bringing the small, bright eggs to the Easter Egg hunts.

Someone else mentioned the measurement: 1 large eggs = 1/4 cup. If the recipe calls for 3 large eggs, just break little eggs into a 3/4 cup measure until it is full. If it is a tiny bit over, it won't make a lot of difference to the recipe.

I also make baked custards with my small eggs, using the 1/4 cup measure above. Add melted, browned sugar (with a little cream added) on top of the custard and you have a cross between flan and creme brulee. The holiday season is coming up, as well, which means Egg Nog and Boiled Custard. They are so much richer when you use fresh, home-produced eggs!

If I think of any other ways I use my small eggs, I'll add another post.

Quote:
Little off topic and I don't want to take over this thread, but WHERE did you find the Pumpkin Butter recipe???
big_smile.png
I would like to get some pumpkins soon for Jack-O-Lanterns and use the insides to can. At least I think you can do that, just use the pulp without the seeds?? I thought we would give the chickens the Jacks after Halloween as long as they are still pretty fresh.

I use to can on my ceramic top and I have heard of a LOT of people that still do, but if you bought it new and have a warranty, the the warranty is VOID! Mine was an action find for $35.00 and I used it for about 2 seasons of canning, never had a problem. But my oven elements went out and we could not find replacements, so we bought a new stove (it was cheaper than trying to order the replacements for the ceramic top, even if we could have found them).

I've been wondering about cooking with fresh eggs, if there's any extra training available. Have you ever noticed that fresh eggs bake differently? And merengue from fresh eggs poofs up VERY FAST?!

so maybe small eggs would be just right for what I need: our glutenfree bread baking. We have to cut the eggs in the recipe by half, if we want a 'normal' looking loaf of bread. If we use the 3 eggs called for on the package, our bread poofs out like a giant pudding in the oven, like souffle bread! Its funny but hard to make sandwiches for lunchboxes. So we learned to break eggs, mix them, and measure by the half-cup for our favorite packaged bread mix.

Have to be gluten free or die. The premade bread from most of the glutenfree companies only sell loaves which are 2/3 the size of normal WonderBread type sandwich bread. So our little Rosecomb's small eggs fit just right inside the small bread for egg-in-toast or what we call "Moon-Over-Miami". I bet these would make a very pretty luncheon snack on smaller sized fancy bread, like pumpernickel for high tea.

From February, for valentines' day:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/25976_p140211_0732.jpg

So cute!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom