How does a first timer build confidence before processing?

hypnofrogstevie

chick magnet
16 Years
Jul 12, 2007
Newport, MI
Next week I am helping a friends friend process chickens. I am kinda nervous about this since its my first time. How do you build up confidence before you do the deed?

We just went through out first processing a couple weeks ago. The first one was tough as I didn't know how much cutting would be necessary for the hen to bleed out quickly. After that, I would have one bleeding out as I plucked the previous one so when I was finished cleaning the next was ready to scald and start the process over again. Found I didn't "think" about the bird that way
smile.png

It also helped that I think the Cornish-X are ugly poo factories
big_smile.png

Mentally brainwash yourself in the days before starting. Detach yourself and think of it as educational, learning and perfecting each step. Keep busy so you don't have lingering thoughts. It is a great idea to help your neighbor. Some people have suggested culling/processing each other's chickens...trade jobs...to make it easier. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always think about how good the meat taste and how well I am feeding my family. Chickens are not that bad cause their small. Large wild game is what got me. Although after a while you get numb and see it for what it really is ... a chore that needs to be done.

Just hold the poor birds head in your hand and do it. I use a cone usually hold onto the head till its about done. I have also started to quickly strap legs together, less likely to work itselve out. Yes it is hard the first time, but I have found it lends to some kind of kinship with our past. So since I am not a vegatarian its assuming responcility for this choice. After it is all over I feel a little taller and life seems in perspective. Oh, and don't eat it on the same day. A good rest in icy brine water helps a lot. Good luck

Quote:
Agreed. Settle on a method and be certain how to do it correctly. Also be sure to have the right equipment readily at hand.

I definitely prefer using a cone - this prevents the flapping about. Also be sure to have a SHARP knife. I've used a brand-new box cutter before with excellent results. Fillet knives also work well.

You're not just killing them. You're doing it for a purpose. That said, something you absolutely must have is respect for the animal. This creature gave its life for you. I'm not insinuating you say a prayer or anything before you take each one, but just have that respect for them. I think that helps me.

Quote:
HA HA they are ugly. We got ours the other day and I was like "man these things are so ugly" so I don't think killing them will be an issue. They look kind of angry all the time.

Thanks guys
smile.png
. MY friends friend will be using cones and I think he either bought, rent or built his own plucker. They are cornish cross. Hopefully I will get used to this
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom