1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How does cross breeding work?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicken_noob, Jun 23, 2011.

1. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    New to this world of chickens and we are loving it!! Just had a question about when people cross breed and how it works. If I take chicken A and cross it with a B..they will hatch a C, can C only breed with a C and if so, is there a way to breed a A or B back from the C's. Im sure im way off but I like to learn stuff and this forum is awesome.

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Any chicken can cross with any chicken. So pure breed to pure breed, mutt to mutt, or pure breed to mutt all work just fine, It's kind of like dogs their is no limits to cross breeding. Does that help? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:Excepting Games the answer to your question is a qualified Yes. You can breed A or B back from C..... It would take between 6 and 8 generations to do. It is called Grading.

4. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Yup, you guys answered my question. Thanks for the info.

5. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    If you are looking for good quality stock to breed with I would suggest the following:

1. Go to a local show. There is always stock for sale.
    2. Join the SPPA and get the Breeders Directory. Largest of it's kind in the States and Canada. You can find most every rare breed there. If it ain't there then some member can help you find it.

6. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Oh, one other word of caution: Beware of the internet. The internet can be a great way to find stock. But you'll also find lots and lots of chicken peddlers!

I've seen folks selling birds before using picture of MY birds! It happens a lot. Before you buy from someone on the Internet that you don't know check them out using this forum and others. It will save you a lot of grief.........and money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by