How early can male specific feathers show?

I know the standard answer is around 12 weeks, but I have an EE chick, Kronk, that’s been confusing me. It has color in the almost non-existent comb but it hasn’t deepened in color.. but this chick is only 6 weeks old (hatched 5/23) and I can’t tell if I’m seeing male specific saddle feathers or if it’s just the pattern on the feathers tricking my eyes? Personality wise it acts like a cockerel, it’s bigger than the rest, kronk is bearded so I’m not expecting wattles really.

Can saddle feathers show this young?
It's pretty common for all feathers to begin showing their gender at six weeks in most breeds. I find twelve weeks is usually for the harder to sex breeds, such as the Polish or Silkie, but it depends on how fast the individual bird is made to mature. Cockerels feather more slowly than pullets at a young age, so you can identity them as young chicks (around a few days old) by seemingly not having a tail when the pullets already have tails, and by the cockerel in question growing wing feathers much more slowly. Again, this depends on what the bird was bred for.

Ultimately, I would say that your bird is a cockerel because of the suspicious red on his feathers and the pointed-looking hackles, but he looks pretty confusing. Can you get a picture of his hackle and saddle feathers on top of something like a sheet of paper?

I know the standard answer is around 12 weeks, but I have an EE chick, Kronk, that’s been confusing me. It has color in the almost non-existent comb but it hasn’t deepened in color.. but this chick is only 6 weeks old (hatched 5/23) and I can’t tell if I’m seeing male specific saddle feathers or if it’s just the pattern on the feathers tricking my eyes? Personality wise it acts like a cockerel, it’s bigger than the rest, kronk is bearded so I’m not expecting wattles really.

Can saddle feathers show this young?
Slow developing cockerel. I can see some sickle feathers coming through, that red wing leakage is crazy. He’s going to be a sight to see when he fully feathers in.

It's pretty common for all feathers to begin showing their gender at six weeks in most breeds. I find twelve weeks is usually for the harder to sex breeds, such as the Polish or Silkie, but it depends on how fast the individual bird is made to mature. Cockerels feather more slowly than pullets at a young age, so you can identity them as young chicks (around a few days old) by seemingly not having a tail when the pullets already have tails, and by the cockerel in question growing wing feathers much more slowly. Again, this depends on what the bird was bred for.

Ultimately, I would say that your bird is a cockerel because of the suspicious red on his feathers and the pointed-looking hackles, but he looks pretty confusing. Can you get a picture of his hackle and saddle feathers on top of something like a sheet of paper?
I do feel a bit confused by this bird, it feathered in fast and young and had tail feathers early. My other cockerels were single combed and pretty obvious by like 3-4 weeks. I’m being a bit impatient I realize but I also know reintegrating this one with the 80 other chicks my dad has this age will be easier the earlier we do it.

I’ll get those pics here shortly !

Slow developing cockerel. I can see some sickle feathers coming through, that red wing leakage is crazy. He’s going to be a sight to see when he fully feathers in.
I do think this is a really pretty chicken! The bronze is really deep and shines in the sun really prettily. If I didn’t have such a well behaved cockerel already I would consider keeping him but ultimately my space is limited and my flock is small. I appreciate the input!

Just updating pics of this chick for anyone that stumbles on this in the future. I still assume it’s a cockerel, but nothing has me sure yet. 8.5 weeks, I expected “his”’comb to be more bumpy at this point…
IMG_8267.png
IMG_8194.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8192.jpeg
    IMG_8192.jpeg
    849.1 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom