How early can male specific feathers show?

Holdthechicken

Songster
Mar 11, 2023
I know the standard answer is around 12 weeks, but I have an EE chick, Kronk, that’s been confusing me. It has color in the almost non-existent comb but it hasn’t deepened in color.. but this chick is only 6 weeks old (hatched 5/23) and I can’t tell if I’m seeing male specific saddle feathers or if it’s just the pattern on the feathers tricking my eyes? Personality wise it acts like a cockerel, it’s bigger than the rest, kronk is bearded so I’m not expecting wattles really.

Can saddle feathers show this young?

Attachments

• IMG_7617.jpeg
    IMG_7617.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_7626.jpeg
    IMG_7626.jpeg
    814.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7628.jpeg
    IMG_7628.jpeg
    798.8 KB · Views: 49
I can't see any pointed saddle feathers. (the sign of a male) However, just the fact that the feathers over the wings and saddle areas are so red, that is a good indication of a cockerel
I’ve stared at this bird so much to try and see why I think it’s pointed. I’ve come to the conclusion it’s the outline of the brown/red on the outside and the white inside. Or maybe I just have a feeling it’s a male so I’m seeing what’s not there 😂. It’s just such a pretty bird I would love to keep it but I’m over my cockerel count and he will have to go back to my dads farm if he is in fact a male.

I’ve stared at this bird so much to try and see why I think it’s pointed. I’ve come to the conclusion it’s the outline of the brown/red on the outside and the white inside. Or maybe I just have a feeling it’s a male so I’m seeing what’s not there 😂. It’s just such a pretty bird I would love to keep it but I’m over my cockerel count and he will have to go back to my dads farm if he is in fact a male.
I very much think it is a cockerel, I'm just not that good at EEs, and can't see anything that makes me 100% sure.
Bty, I never really answered you real question, as to when they can come in. I think 10 to 12 weeks is normal, but I'm pretty sure I've seen some which come in earlier, like 8 weeks.
Also, one of mine didn't get any up till around 18 weeks, so its very much up to the individual :)

I very much think it is a cockerel, I'm just not that good at EEs, and can't see anything that makes me 100% sure.
Bty, I never really answered you real question, as to when they can come in. I think 10 to 12 weeks is normal, but I'm pretty sure I've seen some which come in earlier, like 8 weeks.
Also, one of mine didn't get any up till around 18 weeks, so its very much up to the individual :)
18 weeks? Wow what breed was that?

Back
Top Bottom