How early have your birds started laying?

chickenlily13

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 4, 2013
Vermont
My 14 week old white leghorn started 4 days ago , pullet size eggs. Couldn't believe it cause my white rock stopped the same day. She was a egg a day and is one and a half years old, She layed a skin of a shell then nothing.

It sounds like she is getting read to lay, but what do I know? I have a "rooster" who is hopefully about to lay.
gig.gif

I am pleasantly surprised the the production reds that I bought at Tractor Supply at the end of March started laying a week ago! Heck, even the Cornish Rock hen has started laying! (She should be in the freezer, but I've taken a shine to her..lol) Here was the biggest surprise... we're eating those eggs because they're small and selling the large eggs, last Sunday hubby cracked one into the skillet and it was a double yolk! I've NEVER had a pullet egg be double before! Then it got even weirder, I decided to scramble a few for myself. Cracked one into the bowl, and IT was a double yolk, too! We were marveling at that when I cracked the 3rd one...and it was also a double yolk! Three sets of twins in a row! I had several friends tell me that I'd best play the Powerball..lol

my leghorns started at 17 weeks and 1 of my barred rocks started at 20 weeks usually don't see barred rocks lay until 24-28 weeks. I credit it to the different brand of grain im using this year.

This is my first time raising chickens. I have 3 Tetra Tints, 2 RIR and 1 New Hampshire that are all about 19 weeks. I also have 6 Leghorns that are approx. 17 weeks. Found a small, white eggs today for the first time. I am assuming it came from one of the 17 week leghorns.

What are you feeding them? I am trying a mash and I don't think they like it, but I think it might be they are now running free except for the evenings and they are just eating everything else.

Back
Top Bottom