How early have your birds started laying?

Sorry that your flock has reduced that way. :( Laying can start at 17 weeks. Is her comb big and red?

This isn't a good picture but I can post another tomorrow when she is awake. Lol!

I have two that started laying at 16 1/2 weeks, and a third started at 17 weeks. I believe the two who started first are my Columbian Rock crosses. Not sure who the third is; possibly a BSL.

I bought 15 day old golden sex link chicks on the 7th of March, 2013. I got my first egg on 16th of July, 2013. So the pullets were about 17 weeks old when they started laying. Some of the eggs are starting to size up as these birds are supposed to lay relatively large brown eggs. But some of the eggs are still rather small.

I bought 15 day old golden sex link chicks on the 7th of March, 2013. I got my first egg on 16th of July, 2013. So the pullets were about 17 weeks old when they started laying. Some of the eggs are starting to size up as these birds are supposed to lay relatively large brown eggs. But some of the eggs are still rather small.
Your eggs will get bigger!
smile.png

I am pleasantly surprised the the production reds that I bought at Tractor Supply at the end of March started laying a week ago! Heck, even the Cornish Rock hen has started laying! (She should be in the freezer, but I've taken a shine to her..lol) Here was the biggest surprise... we're eating those eggs because they're small and selling the large eggs, last Sunday hubby cracked one into the skillet and it was a double yolk! I've NEVER had a pullet egg be double before! Then it got even weirder, I decided to scramble a few for myself. Cracked one into the bowl, and IT was a double yolk, too! We were marveling at that when I cracked the 3rd one...and it was also a double yolk! Three sets of twins in a row! I had several friends tell me that I'd best play the Powerball..lol

we feed ourbig chicks laying pellits, mash till 19 weeks old then we put them in with big chicks and mix pellits and mash for 3 weeks then cut mash and only feed pellits

Back
Top Bottom