How exciting the second egg is!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buff-Island-Australorp, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    My first egg arrived on Thursday......no egg on Friday.....then today, my son and I watched one of our RIR's climb in to the milk crate nest I put in the run, left her alone for a while, then I sent my sone back out about 30 minutes later to check and sure enough......the second egg!
    It's just a little bit bigger than the 1st one.
    Questions for you backyarders......she laid this one at approx 11:30 this morning. If she was a consistent layer, should I expect the next one tomorrow, around the same time, or about an hour later that the time from today?

2. Beaker Duck

Beaker Duck BYC's CUTE Travelling Mascot

Jul 22, 2011
    All Over
    Congrats on the first egg!!! You will find the third and fourth and twenty-eigth eggs are exctiing also. Then as more start laying, and you get 2 eggs or 3 a day-- well it takes a long time for the excitement to end!
    They say it takes 23 or 25 hours for an egg to form( I can't remmeber which), which would men that the next egg would be an hour off.So, technically it would seem that in 12 days they would lay the morning egg at 10pm. [​IMG]
    I've known quite a few chickens and the eggs all seem to come within a few hour time frame every day-meaning almost all eggs are laid before noon. I've seen a few wait until later afternoon, but it's been the same chickens laying approximately the same time every day.

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. redeye roy

redeye roy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    I got my first egg today from one of the 9 . Icant wait to check today now12.18 am now i may stay up all nite [​IMG]

5. Momto3

Momto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    One of my hens started laying 6 days ago. I have gotten 1 egg a day from her and she always seems to lay between 10-11am. My easter egger started laying 3 days ago, but skipped a day. Dont remember what time she laid her egg today. I get excited every time I open the coop door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by