How far do YOU go to get the chicken coop clean.

guinea fowl galore

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Australia
Yesterday I found myself getting extremely annoyed while cleaning the chicken coop. After getting all the straw out, I attempted to sweep out all the dust. I just kept finding more and more. I'd sweep the coop out, then turn around and there's more dust
barnie.gif

So yesterday I gave up. I stormed up to the shed grabbed an extension lead aaannnd..... The vacuum cleaner.
And truthfully it was sooo much easier.
This won't be the last time I'll vacuum the chicken coop.

And before you all go "ewwww, how disgusting. She's got her vacuum cleaner all chickened" I used our big industrial vacuum thats use is for 'dirty' cleaning.
Hehe, I wonder what the neighbors were thinking
lol.png

Yes I've used a leaf blower too bit the dust goes EVERYWHERE, you can hardly see your hand in front of your face. And by the end I turned out looking like I'd been battered. The vacuum is much cleaner and safer as far as breathing in the dust goes, even with A mask.
And I'm also going to wash down all the nesting boxes, roosts and feeders today.

If you are able to let your chickens "free range" or otherwise run around outside the coop, it's easier to do a major "spring cleaning" a few times a year.

Just pick a warm morning and take out all the interior "equipment" (e.g roosts, waterers, feeders, lights, etc.), and then spray everything down with the hose. You can scrub the walls and floors w/ an antiseptic solution too, if desired (e.g. bleach and water). Let it all dry out, and then put in new bedding and replace the removed furnishings/equipment.

Now you have a nice, clean coop again.

Last edited:
My chickens do free range. And I clean my coops every 3 weeks. They still seem to be quite dirty when it comes to cleaning time though
hmm.png

My coops are unsealed wood on the inside, so if I hosed them down.... Well that wouldn't work.

We abandoned wood shavings almost immediately. They did not stay where we placed them and were seriously fowled quickly,(okay really bad pun). Instead we use a couple of inches of sand, scatter more when needed, and I have two pressure washers if it comes to it. Turns out in the coop the sand is actually cooler, drier, and cleaner than shavings. We only use shavings now in the nest boxes.

Back
Top Bottom