How far do YOU go to get the chicken coop clean.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by guinea fowl galore, Jun 17, 2011.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Yesterday I found myself getting extremely annoyed while cleaning the chicken coop. After getting all the straw out, I attempted to sweep out all the dust. I just kept finding more and more. I'd sweep the coop out, then turn around and there's more dust [​IMG]
    So yesterday I gave up. I stormed up to the shed grabbed an extension lead aaannnd..... The vacuum cleaner.
    And truthfully it was sooo much easier.
    This won't be the last time I'll vacuum the chicken coop.

And before you all go "ewwww, how disgusting. She's got her vacuum cleaner all chickened" I used our big industrial vacuum thats use is for 'dirty' cleaning.
    Hehe, I wonder what the neighbors were thinking [​IMG]

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Oh I use a shop vac too! So much easier! I also heard on here some use a leaf blower [​IMG]

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I use a shovel.

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I've been known to bring a bucket of soapy water and a sponge.... Scrubby scrubby!

5. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Yes I've used a leaf blower too bit the dust goes EVERYWHERE, you can hardly see your hand in front of your face. And by the end I turned out looking like I'd been battered. The vacuum is much cleaner and safer as far as breathing in the dust goes, even with A mask.
    And I'm also going to wash down all the nesting boxes, roosts and feeders today.

6. baldessariclan

baldessariclan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    If you are able to let your chickens "free range" or otherwise run around outside the coop, it's easier to do a major "spring cleaning" a few times a year.

Just pick a warm morning and take out all the interior "equipment" (e.g roosts, waterers, feeders, lights, etc.), and then spray everything down with the hose. You can scrub the walls and floors w/ an antiseptic solution too, if desired (e.g. bleach and water). Let it all dry out, and then put in new bedding and replace the removed furnishings/equipment.

Now you have a nice, clean coop again.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    My chickens do free range. And I clean my coops every 3 weeks. They still seem to be quite dirty when it comes to cleaning time though [​IMG]
    My coops are unsealed wood on the inside, so if I hosed them down.... Well that wouldn't work.

8. Toothless Willie

Toothless Willie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    We abandoned wood shavings almost immediately. They did not stay where we placed them and were seriously fowled quickly,(okay really bad pun). Instead we use a couple of inches of sand, scatter more when needed, and I have two pressure washers if it comes to it. Turns out in the coop the sand is actually cooler, drier, and cleaner than shavings. We only use shavings now in the nest boxes.

9. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Painting the coop will help with the cleaning, the water flows off instead of absorbing and then catching the dust from birds who just finished their dust bath

10. CapeReds

CapeReds Out Of The Brooder

Planning on using the pressure washer for the big cleaning job. It's got a very long 12' extension wand. The coop floor has Rhino Liner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by