How far from the floor to the bottom of your human door and the bottom of pop door?

Queen Bee

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 2, 2012
North Carolina
Trying to think of 'everything' with this new coop! :) With my last coop, I had the human door open up into the run area...which left me raking and shoveling every nite to get the door closed.. The pop door was the same way... It became such a headache! I do not want to deal with it again..

These are the only two options I can think of::
1. have the door to open to the outside, which I think might be a security problem--- easy access to the coop if the door doesn't shut tight/ does get locked. The girls running past me (or more so, anyone who isn't aware that they will learn that people@ the door mean treats!
2. raise the doors off the floor then I would need stairs--inside and out...

Any other options??? Thanks for any and all help.

My people door is a regular door like any other, leading in and out of the coop (1/4" above the ground, iirc). To prevent shavings drifting out underneath, I took a scrap piece of OSB, and with a hook and eye fastener on either side, attached it to the studs holding the door. The piece of OSB is about 8" high, so I have to step over it but it prevents the shavings getting out, and at the same time is easily removable so that when I need to clean out the coop, I can wheel a barrow right in and shovel it out.

My people door is on the floor like a normal door, but I have a board across the bottom to keep sand in. The chicken door is actually about two and a half feet up from the coop floor, and three feet up fron the ground outside because we used a "window" that was already framed in (we are converting an old wooden playhouse to a coop) and didn't feel like cutting a new hole in the siding and re-framing as well as covering the old hole. We added a four foot long chicken ramp outside, and a ramp with a 180 degree turn inside to save floor space. Check the link and go to the last few pages to see what I am talking about.

Chickens (other than those like Silkies that can't fly) have absolutely no trouble getting up to a pretty high roost or nest box. I've seen 2 week old chicks jump and fly three feet horizontal and 2 feet vertically up. The only reason they did not go further is that they did not need to. I've had 2 day old chicks get into a nest about 14" off the floor when Mama told them to come to bed.

Don't be afraid to raise your human door or pop door as high as you need to so you can clear bedding or anything else. If it is 6" or less, they won't even jump. They will just step up there. You can put ramps, intermediate steps, or anything else you wish. As long as you have room, it won't hurt anything. But give the chickens a little credit. They can manage a whole lot if you let them.

Back
Top Bottom