How far have you driven just to get a chicken ?

For driving - 350 miles roundtrip for some Sussex hens.

But shipping, it was 1,223 miles for a pair of Shamos.

20 minutes?
wink.png

Or if you count a swap I went to more like 40 minutes to and 40 back.

I had 10 chicks sent from Ideal last summer 9 were DOA. I drove 180 miles around trip to get her some friends.Sadly she died the next morning but at least she wasnt alone. They later that fall drove back down to the ladies farm to pick up 2 D'anvers for my DD. So guess you could say 360 miles for chickens. Also this last spring My DD's and I went to St. Louis for my oldest DD's fashion show. While there my younger DD and I drove another 150 miles to Cackle hatchery and got Silkies and Cochins. So from my house to St .Louis is 139 miles then another 150 miles to Cackle so that would be 578 miles round trip. By the way my car broke down on the way home about 83 miles from home and had to wait about 3 hours for SIL to get us in March with 10 chicks in the car to keep warm.

Last edited:
I drove 6 hours roundtrip to get a couple sultans. One was pure, the other was my beloved Roo Boy who passed away this summer. He was a Sultan D'uccle X.
We picked up our amazing Phoebe while we were there too. They were selling mutt chicks, but they weren't advertising it. She's a moody, loving Silkie OEGB X.
It was well worth the trip.

I am not criticizing. I am just learning about different breeds of chickens. So please do not take offense, but why would you drive so far for chickens? I realize some are show chickens. Can you make money off them? Once again not criticizing. Just curious and trying to learn.
hide.gif

Quote:
It's a valid question. For me I wanted O shamos and no one near me had any so off I went. I refuse to ship a chicken as I could not imagine the horror of dying a slow death from lack of water inside a cardboard box. That risk is not acceptable to me at all. The chickens I went after will be/are cherished pets that I hope to have for many many years...not replaceable chickens (if that makes sense!). I have since found out that you can ship them on Delta airlines and I would be willing to do that as the seller puts them on the plane and you go to the airport to pick them up when they come in. That seems less risky than putting them in a package and sending them with all the other mail.
sharon

Back
Top Bottom