how far to cut down paper egg cartons?

wahmommy

Songster
11 Years
Aug 14, 2010
I put my eggs in lockdown, and I did cut down the egg cartons by about 3/8" but now I'm worried I didn't cut them mown enough...some of the eggs air cells are wonky (shipped, large and saddle shaped) and the edges go a little below the edge of the carton... should I just leave it? keep an eye out in case I need to help? or will it be fine?

about as big a hole as in the egg turner but it seems to me that they're better off in the natural position . i hope your hatch goes good
jumpy.gif
but if your eggs have floating aircells or anything else that would make the chicks unable to get to the aircell

Last edited:
about as big a hole as in the egg turner but it seems to me that they're better off in the natural position . i hope your hatch goes good
jumpy.gif
but if your eggs have floating aircells or anything else that would make the chicks unable to get to the aircell
Well one has a detached air cell, and several others have very strange air cells that's why I was trying to hatch in cartons, I also heard it was easier to clean up... I just wonder if I should just put the ones with crazy air cells upright and the others on their sides? but they've been incubating upright this whole time.. arghh i hate being such a newbie..

well i checked mine and the egg turner part (without the stand) is 1/2" and it looks like I cut the egg cartons down to 3/4" I'm starting to panic, these air cells are so big, I don't want to get these eggs this far and then have them die will zipping :(

Here's some photos, can you tell me (its still on ly day 19 and nothing looks like its going on yet) should I cut them down further? If you look closely at the Ameraucana eggs the air cell on a couple of them goes down to the edge of the egg carton...

Last edited:
every ones a newbie at some point. i remaber when i first started u get looked down upon escpically me cuz im not the tallest somtimes i would say the chicken names wrong and they just stare at yha like what r u talking about. u could do a test with the eggs put half in the carton or however many have strange aircells in the cartons and put the normals on their side and see wich hatches better . i had a millie fleur d'uccle egg with a heart shaped aircell never developed but was still cool

right now its at 65% - during the first 18 days it was in the low thirties to forties... local eggs lost an average of 11%, shipped eggs with wonky air cells lost an average of 13% with one having lost (ulp) 20% I'm not counting on this one hatching..

its at a nice humidity zone of u reall want the chick out of the egg u dont thi nk will hatch when u see the first couple of eggs pipping take the bottom half of the egg shell off and wet the membrane near the that seperates it from the aircell if its still alive and u see vessels if u see a huge vain put it away as that is the most important vain if it were punctured it would bleed to death if u dont want go that far just make a pip hole if u drop a little bit of water in there with it it should spread across the whole inside u may have to guide the drop a little it has worked for me many times i saved two belgian bearded d'uccles three guineas two ducks 1 button quail 4 silkies 1 mix and 1finch ive only lost one doing this it was a bobwhite quail and it had been stuck in the egg for 5days and its neck was bent

Back
Top Bottom