How far would you go for a $5 Rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RWise, Mar 31, 2018.

1. RWise

RWise Songster

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I have been looking for some new DNA for my flock, a splash EE rooster. I had no luck finding one close to me, and made a 5 hour round trip to get this pretty boy. Now for this $5 roo, I spent $60 in fuel, and $6 on toll roads,,, he's about 1 YO
    newroo.jpg

Stephine, red horse ranch and SueT like this.
  2. feedman77

feedman77 Crowing

Jun 10, 2013
    Went about that far to get a welsummer roo.

Drove 9.5 hours to pick up a flock of turkeys because I couldnt find them local.

If it is what you needed and or wanted then the prices and time will all be worth it for the enjoyment you get out of your roo.

red horse ranch likes this.
  3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    haha - I seriously considered a road trip to Montana for a flock. We are crazy...without a doubt but the reason you and I come to this page...is there are a lot of crazy people with us and this hobby.

He is beautiful! I think you got a bargain!

4. PennyM

PennyM Crowing

Apr 17, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    We traveled an hour round trip for our chickens because we wanted older pullets, not chicks! If he is worth it to you, then it was worth it! He IS beautiful!

SueT likes this.
  5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I think that's what I drove to get my pullets. I did not want day old chicks shipped because our weather and post office are terrible. It was over 2 hours one way to a farm in the middle of nowhere.

PennyM and SueT like this.
  6. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    We drove a 6 hour round trip to a hatchery last month to spare our chicks the stress of being mailed..

Stephine and PennyM like this.
  7. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    He's beautiful!

I live in Texas. We'll drive 5hrs round trip to a lot of things if we think it might be interesting enough.

PennyM and SueT like this.
  8. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    We gotta do what we gotta do. How can it be crazy? Sound fine to me. :ya :oops: :ya
    Mary

Stephine likes this.
  9. RWise

RWise Songster

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I can hardly wait to see how he handles the ladies, then when the bator is empty!
    It was a nice drive into Arkansas, and they are certainly expanding, new roads everywhere! I hope he works out to be a good rooster, only time will tell now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: