How freindly are these breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by StarLover21, Nov 6, 2011.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Salmon Faverolle
    Easter Egger
    Barred Rock
    Wyandottes
    and Silkies

Oh, and also Lavender Orpingtons.

Also, if you got standard breeds like Barred Rocks and Easter Eggers, AND you got one bantam silkie, would it be picked on, do you think?
    Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    In order by my experience:

Silkie
    barred rock
    salmon faverolle (have not had them long though)
    EE
    Wyandotte

Silkies tend to go off and do thier own thing they seem to not be competative.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Very

4. Momhen

Momhen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    We have Barnevelder Bantams - not on your list - but they are very friendly and easy to handle. We can't get over how different they are from our Light Sussex hens. I think we got spoiled with our Barnevelders!

5. Silkiesandco

Silkiesandco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Canada eh?
    Silkies- Very very friendly

Easter egger- In my experience all mine have been flighty and aggressive

Barred rock- Very friendly. Mine have been very curious too.

Wyandottes- I have no experience with this breed

Salmon Favorelle- I have not had this breed but i have heard they are very friendly

Lavendar Orpingtons- no experience but have heard orpingtons are friendly

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Salmon Faverolle and Silkies--- I have no experience
    Easter Egger--- Fairly friendly. Some seem slightly gamey. Over all I have not had a human aggressive EE.
    Barred Rock--- Very curious and friendly
    Wyandottes--- I have only had roosters, but mine have been very calm and friendly.

7. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    I Think It depends on the Bird [​IMG] , the rank [​IMG] ( In Pecking Order ) and the Love [​IMG]

8. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    I have all of these breeds and this is how I rank them!

Silkies

LO

EE

SF

Wyandottes

BR

Happy-Hens

9. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Silkies don't know. I have heard they are nice

Faverolles are very nice with people and other birds. very sociable. The bantams are very small though and if you have other birds that have a tendency to pick I don't know how well they would fair. So sweet and docile I was able to put 6 week old babies in with a 7 month old roo and 5 month old roo, and two 5 month old pullets and everyone got along great.

EE- one of my EE seems to be the smartest bird I own and one of the only birds I have that will jump up in my lap. I have two other EEs though that are good and sweet birds but will run from you if you try to pick them up. Good with other birds but, not so docile that I would trust a grown EE with a baby. I hope that helps paint a picture

Orpingtons 1 out of the 4 Orpingtons I have will jump up in your lap another will let you pick it up. They are good with other birds but, I don't think they are docile enough to trust with 6 week old babies.

I do not have a wyandotte but, my neighbor does. She likes them but, she said they are not as sociable as her Orpingtons.

I don't know about barred rocks.

I think it is all personal choice. I love my Salmon Faverolles but, my one EE is my favorite.

Good luck

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Each bird varies [​IMG]

But overall with my experience, and this pertains to hatchery stock only, which of course most people are used to anyway -

Wyandottes are only friendly if in small groups or as maybe a hen or two. EE's are a mixed bag but generally great hens. Faverolles are always sweeties, same as Silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by