How good is the Brinsea Octogon 10

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sunny the Hippie Chick, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    I have searched this type here on BYC and didnt find much about it.

Im trying to narrow down my research of incubator types. Came across this brand. Is this any good. It does not turn its self. It is manual turn. But I am home almost all of the time. So it doesnt matter to me. Any information on likes and dislikes of this incubator, please. Do you have to take the eggs out and put them in a hatcher. Or can you hatch them in this. Seems kind of cramped to me from the pictures. Heres a link of the one I am talking about.

http://www.brinsea.com/detail.aspx?ID=8

Thank you every one..

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    It is an excellent incubator. I don't have one but know many people that do and they all swear by them. They are expensive due to the surperior electronics involved but 10 is not many eggs. Consider if you will ever want to hatch more than 10 eggs, keeping in mind that many people sell hatching eggs by the dozen. If there is not a huge difference in price the Octagon 20 may be a better deal.

I have a TX-6 and it only handles around 12 standard eggs and 16-18 bantam eggs. I have had times when I needed more room. It is better to hatch larger clutches of eggs and let them all grow out. Than having lots of hatches with different ages around. It makes it easier on your and the chickens. The intergration of new birds can be stressful and the immunity levels of the different groups can be an issue.

3. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Well I can get the Octogon 10 Manual Turn without the autoturn cradel for $109.00 in a nicks and dent sale from the company..

The Octogon 20 right now is $332.

So even if it only holds 10 eggs. That would be fine for me. I was going to use it for quail eggs..

I wish I could get a turnX6 or turnX7. But havent found one for under $200 yet..

4. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know a thing about incubators (why do I keep getting sucked into this part of BYC? This could spell trouble).

I wonder if this incubator will also work as a "hatcher" (what do you call it, a place to let the chicks hatch.) A hatchery?

Anyhow, those eggs look like they might be in there kind of tight, so I wonder if that means you need a different place for the last day or so???

5. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Quote:I was thinking the same thing. But I would be hatching way smaller eggs. Button Quail eggs.. If I did have to get some thing else for them to actually hatch in. Then I would have to spend more money..

6. bantyman

bantyman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Blue Ridge GA
    Hey [​IMG]
    I have an octagon 20 and love it Temp is great cause of the electronocs Hatch rate is fantastic But I do have the turner which makes it a whole lot easier I am sure the 10 has the same features but just smaller egg space You can buy the turner seperate and if you can I would highly recomend it But good luck on you decision

Mike [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by