How high do I need my fence?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by venymae, Dec 13, 2015.

1. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    I have a run, but am wanting to let my chickens out into the main yard (and also keep my kids in!) if I clip a wing, would a regular 4 foot high fence suffice?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    With a clipped wing a four foot fence should be enough. If it is a solid fence or solid top rail, they may still try. A wire fence without a place to land on top will deter. But there can be the determined one who breaks the rules. Your kids, I wouldn't want to even guess how determined they are.

3. Zinniah

Zinniah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas
    I have a 5 foot fence and its not enough, his wings are not clipped though ( I cant catch him, lol......). He is a large breed fowl, he is still only 7 months, maybe about 7lbs, so i hope when he gets grown he will be to heavy to escape. The girls are friendly and i can clip their wings so they dont escape, but without their wings clipped they can fly over 7ft onto the greenhouse, and they are about 5 lbs when i weighed them.

4. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    Our girls are pretty chill. We usually snag them off the roost in the evening when we want to clip wings. They don't move much at night ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by