How high off the ground for the waterer?

Cutie Clucker

In the Brooder
May 16, 2020
Arizona
I am using horizontal poultry nipples. I don’t have chickens yet and this will be my first block. Does it matter how high off the ground those poultry nipples are? I’ve read a lot of different recommendations online, and I don’t know which will be best.

Hmm.... I imagine you'd want them beak-high to your birds.

I use vertical nipples (as well as shallow dishes all over the place). I had to adjust the height as they grew so that they needed to stretch their necks. The Silkies would jump to reach them, even though I have other ways for them to drink. They prefer that over the more accessible methods. Silly chickens...

thank you for your reply. I will be getting barred rocks & Easter Eggers How tall do they get? Do you know? Since I’ve never had chickens I want to get everything set up correctly the first time.

Horizontal nipples should be high enough that the birds are drinking from them at about beak height, if standing upright at a normal stance. For my waterer an upside down 5 gal bucket is a good height as a stand.

Note the "steps" I put in on the left for the chicks - I can remove a level at a time as they grow up and past their need of steps. The adults use the other nipples in front and right.

early9.jpg

Have the nipples at least back height. Mine are between back and beak height of the chickens. I use blocks in front of some of the nipples when I have chicks, so they can reach them. My waterers sit on top of cement cap blocks.

14 gallon waterer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom