How I beat the 3 chicken no rooster ordinance.

Joe Thomas

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2023
Here where I live on the central east coast of Florida we can only have 3 hens and no roos per household. But the ordinance applies to livestock chickens. No problem. I have red jungle fowl. Thus, classed as an exotic bird as from being a wild species. So I have and exotic bird (parrot) permit. Now I have a whole bunch of 100% legal hens and roos. Also here if one has a chicken/s indoors it is then considered a house pet and then exempt from the livestock ordinance. Case in point: The pot bellied pig rule. Outside they are classed livestock, indoors they classed as a pet.

Here where I live on the central east coast of Florida we can only have 3 hens and no roos per household. But the ordinance applies to livestock chickens. No problem. I have red jungle fowl. Thus, classed as an exotic bird as from being a wild species. So I have and exotic bird (parrot) permit. Now I have a whole bunch of 100% legal hens and roos. Also here if one has a chicken/s indoors it is then considered a house pet and then exempt from the livestock ordinance. Case in point: The pot bellied pig rule. Outside they are classed livestock, indoors they classed as a pet.
Welcome to BYC! We'd love to see photos of your flock and hear all the stories!
I'm curious.... do keeping the birds in a barn or shed classify as "indoors"?

The BYC terms and rules can be found here for those who need a refresher. Apologies to the OP. We strive to keep BYC a friendly place. Welcome to BYC @Joe Thomas .

Thank you to those who participate in a positive manner. This thread is reopened.

oldhenlikesdogs

Last edited:
Well good job you rebellious ingenious buggar! :clap. I love my jungle fowl. Lol
Good rule I found on here, don't eat my pets, and don't name my food. I love my pets also.

Note to self...
Convert playroom to hypo quarters.

Back
Top Bottom