How I went from egg hobby to obsession

Pics
It is nice to have 1 broody around forsure. I'll give you that but I tend to give in or be too busy else ware and not break. Actually, the mail and the pandemic have made that ok... though now that I am trying to be more breed specific I am sure I am going to have to get a grip on ol Dusty.
Ok. And my biting broody started nesting in my neighbors junk pile. I would have to climb over and take the eggs from her makeshift nest. Well, she went broody and started collecting snail shells under her. We have those big African snails... gosh it was cute in a people like us kind of way.
Where are you???

Where are you???
Aloha kakahiaka! 🌴 :cool: Kauai, Hawaii. I think it is on my avatar/profile thingie...?
Pretty cool you can click on those and google will take you to the whereabouts of another. I was hoping you would add your state cuz I am not sure where you are at and with all of those chickens and your land potential... I may just want to be your neighbor lol.
Have dueling carts or more likely just go shopping at yours. :lol:

One is a white crested polish.. the other is a red frizzle, both bantams... hoping they are both girls :fl
So, you are chickenless except for these two? Pretty cute having house chickens. I know.... a few people may not approve but I see a few folks on this site with house chickens and they seem to do pretty well. I have one or two of mine that I would let be house chickens. Princess Peaches because she is the cutest, sweetest chicken ever and Pearl Bailey cuz she is like the second sweetest ever and Peaches would need company and they are pals.
20210124_105620 (1).jpg
20210322_181228.jpg
20210322_181259.jpg
20210304_122141~2.jpg
20210409_090813.jpg
20210124_105450.jpg

Miss Pearl Baily is the daughter of Rose, the broody hen that used to attack me. Actually Rose was an exceptional hen till I let her go broody... :hmm def my bad. I think the solution to my chicken problems (and horse problem and wanting ducks and geese problem and maybe goats and def a donkey AND a mule or two problem) is more land...

Last edited:
So, you are chickenless except for these two? Pretty cute having house chickens. I know.... a few people may not approve but I see a few folks on this site with house chickens and they seem to do pretty well. I have one or two of mine that I would let be house chickens. Princess Peaches because she is the cutest, sweetest chicken ever and Pearl Bailey cuz she is like the second sweetest ever and Peaches would need company and they are pals.View attachment 2636183View attachment 2636199View attachment 2636200View attachment 2636205View attachment 2636185View attachment 2636182
Miss Pearl Baily is the daughter of Rose, the broody hen that used to attack me. Actually Rose was an exceptional hen till I let her go broody... :hmm def my bad. I think the solution to my chicken problems (and horse problem and wanting ducks and geese problem and maybe goats and def a donkey AND a mule or two problem) is more land...
They look so beautiful!! Is princess peaches a D'uccle? My minnie and daisy are both D'uccles, definitely house friendly.. besides them i have Elsa, my bantam splash cochin, so all 3 of them are in the house together.. plus the two new baby chicks..
Here is the current setup... although i plan on building something taller and longer, like an aviary flight.
20210408_140814.jpg

Here is miss elsa:
20210413_100019.jpg

Here are the 3 looking for worm treats in the dust bath (kitty litter box w soil):
20210407_075145.jpg

And besties, Minnie and Daisy..

20201231_104718.jpg

They look so beautiful!! Is princess peaches a D'uccle? My minnie and daisy are both D'uccles, definitely house friendly.. besides them i have Elsa, my bantam splash cochin, so all 3 of them are in the house together.. plus the two new baby chicks..
Here is the current setup... although i plan on building something taller and longer, like an aviary flight.
View attachment 2636449

Here is miss elsa:
View attachment 2636448

Here are the 3 looking for worm treats in the dust bath (kitty litter box w soil):
View attachment 2636454

And besties, Minnie and Daisy..

View attachment 2636461
Just too cute and cool and SUPER clean. I love it. You must have a decent sized home and they look like they have their own room!
Is it because you are in Az that you started to keep them inside? My daughter lives in Az now and said she wanted chickens but was worried. I don't blame her, nothing worse than watching your sweetie die of heat in your hands.

Princess Peaches is a mix of Light Brahma (mom) and Smoothie (Ameraucana X Silkie)
She has the best personality. Funny cuz her dad is a bit of a butthead so he got fired to the pasture. Too bad cuz I enjoyed his babies but also wanted my breeding to go in the Brahma direction so it made the decision easier. My main roo is fabulous with the flock and that is exactly what I want. gets better every day.
Today I let my Light Brahma cockerel out with the main flock and he has been a fantastic #2 wingman so far.
20210426_093231~2.jpg
20210426_093241~2.jpg

And my 2nd- 2nd gen mealworms! Man, these are waaaay more fun than I thought they would be. Almost as fun as getting eggs. Speaking of eggs... how does that work with laying and inside chooks?

Attachments

• 20210425_085316.jpg
    20210425_085316.jpg
    768.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Just too cute and cool and SUPER clean. I love it. You must have a decent sized home and they look like they have their own room!
Is it because you are in Az that you started to keep them inside? My daughter lives in Az now and said she wanted chickens but was worried. I don't blame her, nothing worse than watching your sweetie die of heat in your hands.
The home is good sized, but they are in this really oversized hallway.. i had them in the family room, but that was getting crowded. That is just a large bunny hutch, so it could really fit anywhere.

I have them inside because my HOA doesn't allow them outside, otherwise a setup under a tree would be fine.. lots of people have chickens out here. So long as there is a good shade tree for them, they seem to be ok. But i only have a few anyhow, not anymore work than having a rabbit or a couple of parrots really.

I added some thick plastic i cut up from a shower curtain as a skirt for the inside.. and we use a kitty litter scooper to scoop poops each morning and then dump the trays once a week. We timed it a few weeks ago and the cleanup is 10- 15 minutes (feels longer 😆).. so i clean them just before i vacuum the house. I also have a good air purifier at the other end of their coop to catch any dust. It works really well.

They go into one corner of their sleeping coop to lay eggs.. so funny too because they won't use any other corner. So same issue as a nest box, someone gets huffy and puffy if there is a corner hogger! 🤣

Aloha kakahiaka! 🌴 :cool: Kauai, Hawaii. I think it is on my avatar/profile thingie...?
Pretty cool you can click on those and google will take you to the whereabouts of another. I was hoping you would add your state cuz I am not sure where you are at and with all of those chickens and your land potential... I may just want to be your neighbor lol.
Have dueling carts or more likely just go shopping at yours. :lol:
Wow! That is awesome!!!
I am in Wake Forest, North Carolina. We say ‘Hey Y’all’ instead of Aloha.
Land here isn’t much easier to come by, we apparently have one of the hottest housing markets in the US. We got lucky bc our neighbor has a ton of land and is splitting some of it up because they are building a new house further back on their land and their horses are getting older.
087962E0-2D6E-407C-B8AB-187C8F280049.jpeg
6EFCB852-B985-4D76-8885-02D77E1CE405.jpeg

Wow! That is awesome!!!
I am in Wake Forest, North Carolina. We say ‘Hey Y’all’ instead of Aloha.
Land here isn’t much easier to come by, we apparently have one of the hottest housing markets in the US. We got lucky bc our neighbor has a ton of land and is splitting some of it up because they are building a new house further back on their land and their horses are getting older.View attachment 2637173View attachment 2637174
Friesians!! ❤️💕❤️😍

Back
Top Bottom