How in the world do I get rid of worms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shelleyd2008, Jun 9, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have ACV, I have wazine wormer, and I have DE. Nothing seems to be working!! I know they have worms, I've seen them. All of my chickens free range at the moment, so I don't know if they are getting enough of the meds or not.

Any ideas??

2. standardbanty

standardbanty Songster

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Go to state animal health office and get a fecal sample done. They should tell you what worm you have. Then get right wormer. In MD it costs $10 to get fecal sample done.

3. KayP

KayP Songster

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Is there a reccommended way to take a sample? Does each poo contain the same information? Like, would the first poo of the day have more worms/worm signs than later?

4. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

You can treat with ivermectin vs. wazine. Its what's been recommended profusely on here (after myself doing much research on it) [​IMG] . DE can be used as a preventative once all worms are gone, but it wont get RID of worms.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  5. KayP

KayP Songster

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Can you buy invermectin online?

6. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You might look for Eprinex which is pour on ivermectin. Dose is 0.5cc for large fowl adults and 0.25cc for bantams. I got a large bottle from TSC (I'll never use anywhere near all of it.) I would imagine it is available online. It is a cattle med. You put it on the back of the neck, onto the skin.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2009
  7. HennysMom

Quote:This is what I purchased... I bought the smallest bottle they had and it was $36.00 - I'll never use it all though.... wish there was a way I could put it in a smaller bottle or vial that wouldnt leak - I'd send you some Kay. I dont know how I'd be able to send it in the mail without it breaking...

any ideas? If I had a cap I could seal on my syringes... I could do it that way...

Let me check.. gimme a sec

8. HennysMom

Kay..

I've got to run out - I can see if I cant find a small container that seals and I can mail you some Eprinex if you'd like.

My bottle is HUGE (like 8 inches tall) and it will expire 3/10 - I only have 6 birds... and they only get 5 drops [​IMG] on their backs so.. I'm stocked for like 1000 years here.

If you can wait like 2 hours...(thats when I'll be back from running) I'll log back in and tell ya what I found to mail it to ya (no charge).

Just PM me your addy and we'll go from there k? I even have very small syringes (no needle) that are for vet use - and I'll include one for ya.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: