How is it introducing a new Roo to an established flock of JUST girls?

Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
Plant City, FL.
We had to get rid of my baby Roo Roo--he just got too aggresive towards men and i didnt want to chance him with out boys so we rehomed him to a good home but im desperate to hear crows again!!! Can you introduce a new "boy" into a flock of girls with little trouble?

I also have a girl he beat up on in "ICU" I might better integrate back to the flock before i get another boy..hmmmmmmm...this chicken totem pole business is serious.

Good question. Well, what breed of chickens do you have? How many girls are there? And what size pen and house do you have?

frow.gif
Hello from Ohio !

hide.gif
I would suggest that the hen in ICU be reunited with the flock BEFORE you bring home your new rooster.

:oldMy simplest method for intoducing any new member is to place them in a wire dog crate, allowing everyone to look BUT NOT TOUCH for at least one hour before releasing with the general population.
yippiechickie.gif

thumbsup.gif
Take it easy, chickens know what to do.
bun.gif

I once put a mature Serama rooster in with some 6 mo old Jersey Giant pullets. He went in kickin butt, and chasing everyone around. The next day the pen was quite peaceful, with the hens all contently clucking around, and the Roo continually picking up things and calling over "his girls" to eat whatever he had found.

I think that went well because I had an older Roo in with pullets. Also Jersey Giants are a fairly docile breed. What breed do you have? And what age group are you dealing with?

Thanks everyone! We are kinda mixed here
smile.png
ICU girl is a BO, then have an Americana, Australorp, GLW, 2 mutt babies from the BO/Australorp roo mix
tongue.png
and one 4 wk old mutt baby. So now 6 hens and 1 baby butt.

They are also all free-ranging, im QUITE nervous now without a roo back there but there used to it and coop themselves up at night...we do have a Bassett hound protector dog out there (he loves them) but i still cant wait to get a boy back again!

Back
Top Bottom