Introducing a young rooster to the flock?

WyoChick1

Chirping
Mar 13, 2023
Wyoming
Hi, first time chicken owner here. I have a flock of 11 of the easiest 22 week old pullets you could ask for, and my sister is giving me a 17 week old EE cockerel this weekend. I just want to know what to watch for as I introduce him to my girls. He is a quiet roo, rarely crows, and has been bossed around by my sister's head hen. I don't even know if I have a head hen. Aside from our one Salmon Favorelles being a loner in the flock, the rest seem to get along well. I'm hoping the young roo will fit in fine? Any tips? I can section the run off if needed, but not the coop. How would that work? What should I expect as we add him in? Thanks for any tips!

I have really never had trouble adding a rooster. I have had them roost on the bench a week before they made the roost, had a little bluster, but that was it and settled quickly. I am assuming that your 22 week old birds are laying or pretty close to laying?

I think it is good news that he has been raised up under older hens, they tend to turn out better, but do know that every cockerel is a crap shoot, and how he acted there, and yesterday is no real indicator about tomorrow and at your place.

I just open the gate, and put them in. There will be a bit of bluster, and chest bumping, a few feathers may fly, but it will settle quickly. I just add two cockerels to a multi-generational flock...let them in the run, and Mrs. Feathers did womp some on them, but by the next day it was settled. They were crowing when I let them in, but they haven't crowed since...but they will. They are just young.

Mrs K

Thank you! Yes, just over half of my ladies are laying regularly now. The rest should be close behind. The run and coop are large, so there should be plenty of room for everyone to figure things out. Hopefully it all the goes smoothly! I feel like I've been spoiled as a first time chicken owner. They've been easy so far, so I don't want to take it for granted or be naive.

I personally like the see no touch philosophy for adding chickens which also gives time to "quarantine" for a little. That said, there are many opinions on this. I just haven't appreciated a difference if it is a pullet or a cockerel being added.

I usually keep then in a cage overnight in the hen house and let him out in the morning. With food and water of course. It lets the ladies get use to him an let's him know where home and food are.

Back
Top Bottom