How is this color/feather pattern called?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Petra Pancake, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Petra Pancake

Petra Pancake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for the poor photo quality and for posting it here in the breed and gender thread - couldn't find a more suitable place. I'd like to know what this rooster's feather coloring is called. Part of him is golden brown with fine "pearly" barring (neck and saddle feathers), the rest, especially chest and belly, are in a rougher black and white barred pattern. Does that pattern have a name?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Granted, not the best pictures (can't be helped), but looks like crele to me. (eta, though the barring in the tail sure does get smutty looking)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks Crele/Creole to me.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

5. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    x3. Pretty boy. I like the gold and black color scheme. (Not sure if that sounds exactly right).

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Crele

7. Petra Pancake

Thanks to you all. I put "Crele" into Google picture search and what came up is indeed a pattern that's like his. Actually, when I got him from a breeders bachelor rooster coop, I chose him because of his beautiful color that stood out from the rest. He's supposed to be a pet quality Japanese Bantam, but I noticed that he is quite a bit sturdier and bigger than my other Japanese Bantam rooster. Maybe he is some kind of mix, I don't mind. I got him less than two weeks ago and he keeps running away from the camera, that's why I had to photograph him from a distance and that's why the photos are so blurred.

8. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I suspect he is an Old English Game bantam. I don't think he is a Japanese.

9. Petra Pancake

@Gray Farms , his sturdy body shape and the color really could fit an Old English Game Bantam. When I looked up the "crele" pictures, I started thinking that as well. On the other hand, he does have very short legs, more like a Japanese Bantam, and he has a big, rough, spiky comb - that doesn't really come across in the photos. Maybe he's half Old English and half Japanese? Strange, though. The breeder showed me all his birds and he didn't have any OEGBs there. Whatever, his task in life is to breed with my mixed breed laying hens and to produce colorful small sized mutts - as long as he does that, he can be whatever he likes.
    [​IMG]

10. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    You may be onto something there. Whatever he is he sure is handsome. Crele is one of my favorite colors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by