How is your flock today?

Pics
Hello all, Thank you for your participation by letting others know how your flock is doing today? I had started this thread topic posting in the Random Rambling section of the Forum figuring it was the right place for members to daily ramble about their flocks.

I guess someone ( BYC Staff ) :confused: thought it best to move my thread post for me without asking first and or explaining why they were moving it? :mad: I have no clue how my thread post fits into Pictures and Stories of my Chickens when members are going to daily ramble about their flocks. :barnie:th

We started our small flock this spring with two small Mallard hen Ducklings from a private breeder who wasn't 100% sure, but guessed they were both hen Mallards and then four sexed Isa Brown hens chicks from TSC with the intention of having fresh chicken eggs on hand. :)

We are not new to chickens only ducks, so this is how I found the BYC Forum by doing a google search looking for duckling info. and Wah-Lah! BYC Forum popped up. :)

At the time six poultry seemed like the perfect size flock for us until we started talking about the two Mallard hens and possibly finding them a BF? So four weeks later we added a batch of ten, one week old unsexed Rouen/Pekin mix ducklings to the flock from another private party, figuring at the time we should be able to get a Drake for our two girls and rehome the rest after.

This all sounded like a perfect game plan at the time until a person gets attached and falls in love with them all and now our new small flock is a solid sixteen in number. LOL So from the ten we ended up with four Drakes and six Hens and having learned our ratio is off, so far we have been very lucky with no aggressive mating issues that others post about. I am sure by spring this will change and they will have to be separated over having to rehome anyone. :)

This new duck experience has been quite the journey for sure, I can now see and understand why ducks are not the perfect pets for everyone. They can be very messy and a LOT of work daily, all in all I am very glad we have them. We have been very, very fortunate to have not lost anyone and or have had any serious health issues that couldn't be addressed.

I feel I am very fortunate to get the opportunity each morning to start my days with a cup of coffee at sunrise as I let our flock out to free range. This gives me the opportunity to take a quick head count and watch them to make sure none of them have any issues that needs to be addressed. So after everyone has been feed and they all have fresh clean water, I can now go and get my day started. :)

Hopefully this thread post sparks interest for other members to chime in and let others know how their flock is today? For us, each day is a new adventure with our flock, always something new going on and never a dull moment. LOL

Thanks again to all members who enjoy this thread topic and help keep it alive. :woot:woot:celebrate:yesss:

@Annalyse Hello, glad to hear your flock is doing great, how many? Ours are discovering the cooler weather also for the first time and its funny to watch the ducks go after and nibble on the thin ice layer on top of their pool water each morning.

What breed of Roo and how old is he? We just adopted Chewbacca a few weeks ago now because Chewy should have been a hen and turned out to be a little cockerel and the people didn't want him with their hens, so that is how we ended up with him. :)

Chewy sure is a friendly little guy, he is a Brahma mix little Roo who is about three months old now. Our four Isa Brown hens want absolutely nothing to do with him right now and will try chasing him around each chance they get. So Chewy receives a little special treatment to keep him safe until he is bigger and girls don't gang up on him. LOL

@Sally PB SWEET! a heated waterer bowl, how has it been working for you? I am not sure just yet if we will be needing to invest in one?

Originally from ND so I know all to well what cold and minus temps and wind chill are all about. LOL Down here in NC I guess it can get cold enough to have hard water issues, but since I am out early every morning and changing all the waters, hopefully that will be enough to not have to worry about it? :)

How many in your flock?

Hello @BlueBaby wow 28, all chickens in your flock? I had the opportunity to spend two winters in the Phoenix area and that was a new experience over the hash winters I am used too. I have to say it was a nice experience until mid summer hit and then it was time for this guy to jet! WOW that heat can be intense if you are not used to it.:barnie:th

So I am guessing you have AC in your Coop for the summer months? :gig

@Annalyse Hello, glad to hear your flock is doing great, how many? Ours are discovering the cooler weather also for the first time and its funny to watch the ducks go after and nibble on the thin ice layer on top of their pool water each morning.

What breed of Roo and how old is he? We just adopted Chewbacca a few weeks ago now because Chewy should have been a hen and turned out to be a little cockerel and the people didn't want him with their hens, so that is how we ended up with him. :)

Chewy sure is a friendly little guy, he is a Brahma mix little Roo who is about three months old now. Our four Isa Brown hens want absolutely nothing to do with him right now and will try chasing him around each chance they get. So Chewy receives a little special treatment to keep him safe until he is bigger and girls don't gang up on him. LOL
I have 7 in my flock. 6 girls and 1 roo. His name is Rooster and hes my baby. He loves to get picked up and we just chill. Hes a swedish flower rooster. Was supposed to be a hen but ya know how sexing at there age can be.

I have 7 in my flock. 6 girls and 1 roo. His name is Rooster and hes my baby. He loves to get picked up and we just chill. Hes a swedish flower rooster. Was supposed to be a hen but ya know how sexing at there age can be.
O, Ok that's awesome! :) Yes that does happen and your not the first! LOL We adopted a little Roo about two weeks ago and Chewbacca, Chewy as we call him is a Brahma barn yard mix and he was to have been a hen also! LOL So the people we got him from wanted to rehome him over the stew pot.

Chewy is about three months old now and quite a friendly little guy. He isn't quite big enough to turn loose in with our older hens who already don't like him, so Chewy gets a little special treatment to keep him safe from our hens until he is bigger in size. :)

Back
Top Bottom