How is your flock today?

Pints, I have an older pressure cooker made by presto. I have the old book for it still., but here is a link to their site: https://www.gopresto.com/content/s/canning-meat
I do them an hour and 15 min, 75 min on this chart.
I like to just use boneless breast meat in jars. It is about the same for any meat.
That is interesting and I would like to try that. Most people don't know you can not can,( pressure cook ) meat in a quart jar safely. That is why I had to ask. :)

That is interesting and I would like to try that. Most people don't know you can not can,( pressure cook ) meat in a quart jar safely. That is why I had to ask. :)
So I passed your test? :lau I try to not post any dangerous things here! Some old timers used quarts, even for oysters, when I was younger. I am a safety first kind of person, so I never can anything with bones bigger than a tuna, but the site I referenced has times for quarts, long times that I would find too inconvenient! But, I believe that it is a personal judgement call on safety.

So I passed your test? :lau I try to not post any dangerous things here! Some old timers used quarts, even for oysters, when I was younger. I am a safety first kind of person, so I never can anything with bones bigger than a tuna, but the site I referenced has times for quarts, long times that I would find too inconvenient! But, I believe that it is a personal judgement call on safety.
I so agree. Some old timers could get away with it if they cooked it out of a quart jars first over eating it cold in a sandwich.

In my experiences from AK. A TBS of lemon juice was always added to any pint of fresh seafood before canning it. :)

@Parront Curing meats for smoking is another old thyme thing most people don't understand either with Nitrates and how to use them safely. I so love homemade cured hams and bacon, sausage to smoked poultry. :)

Last edited:
I so agree. Some old timers could get away with it if they cooked it out of a quart jars first over eating it cold in a sandwich.

In my experiences from AK. A TBS of lemon juice was always added to any pint of fresh seafood before canning it. :)
The problem with unsafe canning is that even cooking it after you open the jar will not de-activate the toxin produced by botulism. That is why I refer to the up-dated times charts, some old books I have list shorter times which have been declared to be not safe. Our germs are badder bugs than they were in a bygone era. :( I no longer eat rare hamburgers, either, which I loved growing up!

Pints, I have an older pressure cooker made by presto. I have the old book for it still., but here is a link to their site: https://www.gopresto.com/content/s/canning-meat
I do them an hour and 15 min, 75 min on this chart.
I like to just use boneless breast meat in jars. It is about the same for any meat.

I bookmarked that link. Thanks', I want to try my hand at it later.

Back
Top Bottom