How is your flock today?

I bookmarked that link. Thanks', I want to try my hand at it later.
They have a very good site. You can get parts for any Presto pressure cooker from them. If you have never canned, and want a new canner, they have a very nice electric one that does everything for you. Set it and walk away. My old one needs constant supervision.

They have a very good site. You can get parts for any Presto pressure cooker from them. If you have never canned, and want a new canner, they have a very nice electric one that does everything for you. Set it and walk away. My old one needs constant supervision.

Yes, I have not bought a canner yet.

I am very fortunate to have my grandmothers canning stuff as long as my mothers. I have all kinds of old Blue Ball jars numbered in cases etc. The stuff you cant find on the store shelves anymore. :(

Lucky you! I'll have to teach myself how to do the canning after I get everything that I need to start trying.

I am very fortunate to have my grandmothers canning stuff as long as my mothers. I have all kinds of old Blue Ball jars numbered in cases etc. The stuff you cant find on the store shelves anymore. :(
I got one of my canners at an estate sale, the small one I have had since the 70's. You can get new parts for any older Presto on that site, and the one I bought was $25.00.

The problem with unsafe canning is that even cooking it after you open the jar will not de-activate the toxin produced by botulism. That is why I refer to the up-dated times charts, some old books I have list shorter times which have been declared to be not safe. Our germs are badder bugs than they were in a bygone era. :( I no longer eat rare hamburgers, either, which I loved growing up!
I agree with you about unsafe canning. Once meat goes bad, there is no cooking the harmfulness out of it. If I ever open a canned jar and it don't smell right, it gets dumped!:sick

If I know I have a good farm fresh raised beef, I do like that rare juicy burger. :) I also like to sample a small corner of a piece of cure pork that comes right out of the smoke house. Safe maybe not...... But oh so Good! :)

I am referring to cold smoking over hot that is. IMO if a person is going to smoke meat to 160F, then why not finish cooking it. Cold smoking and Hot smoking are to very different things as is a salt cured piece of meat with no nitrates. A person can't safely cold smoke any salted meats below 160F safely without nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom