How jumbo is a "jumbo" coturnix?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Denninmi, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Thinking about them for meat. I've seen claims by some of the ebay egg vendors of breeding stock as large as 16-18 ounces live weight.

Do they really get that big, and for meat purposes, is there a significant difference in yield between "regular" and "jumbo"

Right now, my birds are from various sources, and I got them just for ornamental purposes. I have a big mix of colors, but I'm sure none are "jumbo" and I suspect at most they probably weigh about 6/7 ounces live weight.

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

what you have are the standard size. Jumbos are over 10 oz. To the best of my knowledge there are NO 18 oz. coturnix. The Jumbos are generally around 12-14 oz. read the posts on here about "Moby Quail"....LOL

3. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Yeah, I pretty much figured that 16/18 oz claim was bunk.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The Jumbo Pharaohs/Browns and Texas A and Ms/Jumbo Whites obtain the most weight if you are looking for meatier birds.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I've seen claims by some of the ebay egg vendors of breeding stock as large as 16-18 ounces live weight.

[​IMG]

LOOKS LIKE SOMEBODY'S EITHER A PATHOLOGICAL LIAR OR HAS FALLEN AND BUMPED THEIR HEAD [​IMG]

6. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
  7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    THE COW JUMPING OVER THE MOON IS POSSIBLE, BUT PRETTY UNLIKELY. EVERYTIME WE GO DOWN THIS MOBY QUAIL ROAD IT ALWAYS GETS HEATED AND MOST STRINGS COLLECT THE MODS' IRE AND GET SHUT DOWN OR CENSORED AT THE LEAST. I'D JUST SAY ITS HIGHLY UNLIKELY. GRANTED THERE WILL ALWAYS BE EXCEPTIONS TO ANY RULES... A 16OZ COTURNIX MAY WELL EXIST, BUT IT CERTAINLY STICKS OUT IN THE CROWD AND IS NOT THE NORM. I'VE BEEN AT THIS QUITE SOME TIME, PERSUED MOBY QUAIL IN AT LEAST 2 DIFFERENT SPECES EXTENSIVELY AS HAVE MANY OTHERS THAT HAVE BEEN OR STILL ARE ON THIS FORUM... WE EVEN HAVE A FEW HIGHLY DEDICATED CAPT AHABS' HERE [​IMG] BUT TO PRINT THAT ALL YOUR FLOCK GOES 15-16 OZ'S WOULD BE THE SIMILAR TO OVEREXAGERATION. YOU MAY GET 1 EVERY SO OFTEN... BUT THE ENTIRE FLOCK? I'D RATHER TRUST A POLITICIAN... THE CHANCES OF THEM BEING TRUE TO THEIR WORD IS BETTER [​IMG]

AND DONT FLAME ME AS I AM THE BOB WHITE CAPT AHAB [​IMG]

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    SAD PART IS ITS THESE CRAZY CLAIMS AND CONTINUED MYTHS BEING PASSED AROUND THAT MAKES QUAIL DEALINGS DIFFICULT FOR THE REALISTS THAT ROUTINELY DEAL IN THEM DAY IN AND DAY OUT. PERSONALLY I WILL NOT REPEAT MYTHS OR FALSEHOODS TO MAKE SALES, BUT I WAS RAISED WITH STRICT HILLBILLY DISCIPLINE AND THIS IS AN INGRAINED CHARACTERISTIC I SEEM TO HAVE ACQUIRED.

I ROUTINELY SEE ALL KINDS OF CRAZY CLAIMS ON EBAY, CRAIGSLIST (THATS A GOOD 1 THERE! LIKE THE COMPUTER VERSION OF WALMART [​IMG] ... ALL THE WEIRD 1'S END UP ON CRAIGSLIST [​IMG] ) AND MANY OTHER SITES. SOMETIMES THEY ARE LAUGHABLE [​IMG] , OTHER TIMES DISHEARTENING [​IMG] , AND YET OTHERS ABSOLUTELY INFURIATING [​IMG] ... I GUESS THE BIGGEST FACTOR DEPENDS ON THE OVERALL MOOD WHEN SEEING THEM [​IMG]

UNFORTUNATELY YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN YOUR OWN TRUTHS ABOUT ALL THESE MYTHICAL FLYING BEASTS AND IT COMES WITH TIME, MONEY, AND FRUSTRATION. WE ALL DO IN TIME.

I LIKE THE LIL FELLAS--- THEY'RE THE ROACHES OF THE QUAIL WORLD... FAST IN EVERY WAY, PROLIFIC AND FORGIVING, OVERALL A HARD TO BEAT BIRD FOR PRODUCTION NUMBERS OF ANY TYPE, BUT I HAVE LONG SINCE GIVEN UP ON THE MYTHICAL QUALITIES ALLEGED AND SIMPLY ENJOY THEM FOR WHAT THEY ARE-- A NICE QUAIL SPECES. DONT GET ME WRONG, I SELECTIVELY BREED ALL MY BIRDS, BUT I WOULDNT EVER BET THE FARM ON BEING ABLE TO CONSISTANTLY PRODUCE SOMETHING THAT IS AGAINST NATURES DESIGN... PERHAPS I AM JUST TOO MIRED IN REALISM?

9. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  10. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out what strain or variety is the largest. Strictly going to be a backyard experiment in meat production for personal use, so its not really a big deal.

As far as false advertising claims and overinflated puffery, well, the world is full of that everywhere, unfortunately.

I know that there ARE some very large strains of bobwhites, but we are limited to less than 12 for personal use without a permit here in Michigan, not to mention the other issues about them, so I'll just stick with the red-tape free Coturnix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by