How likely is a broody coturnix?

It really depends on a lot of factors (like their enclosure, diet, predators, how they were raised, ect.). I have had several broody quails, but It's hard to say how likely it is.

If you think that hatching them in an incubator is more likely to make the offspring more susceptible to being broody, then that is not true. The environment around your chicks might make them more inclined to broodiness, however.

My two females started brooding out of the blue, one day just started rolling all the eggs towards a corner and sitting on em. One thing I did was add hay piles to the hutch. This made them WAY more likely to brood, also I noticed the more hiding spaces there were, the more likely they were to brood. None of them have successfully hatched though.

Over several years, I have had several broody quail... sort of. A hen grumbles around the run and clamps down on a set of eggs for about 3 days. Then she seems to forget where her clutch is or gets bored, and moves to another clutch. My most recent girl made it for over a week on one clutch before switching. I’ve never personally had a broody girl go the distance, but I’ve read of others who have.

Back
Top Bottom