How likely is a broody coturnix?

birbdabble

Hatching
Sep 23, 2020
If I hatch eggs in an incubator is there any likelihood that a female could grow up to brood her own? Are there any particular types that are more likely to do this? Thanks!

Quailobsessed

Crowing
Oct 12, 2019
Australia
It really depends on a lot of factors (like their enclosure, diet, predators, how they were raised, ect.). I have had several broody quails, but It's hard to say how likely it is.

Pullet Press

Songster
Aug 7, 2020
Texas
If you think that hatching them in an incubator is more likely to make the offspring more susceptible to being broody, then that is not true. The environment around your chicks might make them more inclined to broodiness, however.

Green Bean Quail

Songster
Nov 13, 2019
My two females started brooding out of the blue, one day just started rolling all the eggs towards a corner and sitting on em. One thing I did was add hay piles to the hutch. This made them WAY more likely to brood, also I noticed the more hiding spaces there were, the more likely they were to brood. None of them have successfully hatched though.

Xouie

Songster
Jun 11, 2020
SF Bay Area
Over several years, I have had several broody quail... sort of. A hen grumbles around the run and clamps down on a set of eggs for about 3 days. Then she seems to forget where her clutch is or gets bored, and moves to another clutch. My most recent girl made it for over a week on one clutch before switching. I’ve never personally had a broody girl go the distance, but I’ve read of others who have.

Top Bottom