How long after Pipping do eggs hatch?!!! Day 21 Broody Hen

@nchls school So my broody hen was sitting on 6 eggs out of the 6, 4 hatched. This was sometime in the middle of last night. Is there a possibility for the other 2 to still hatch? Today is Day 22

Yes. It is not out of the question for eggs to hatch late. If you know how to candle and have experience doing so, a quick candling will tell you if they are alive. Also, by now, you should hear tapping/peeping when the egg is held to the ear. If nothing is heard they probably won't hatch.

Yes. It is not out of the question for eggs to hatch late. If you know how to candle and have experience doing so, a quick candling will tell you if they are alive. Also, by now, you should hear tapping/peeping when the egg is held to the ear. If nothing is heard they probably won't hatch.
Ok I will candle tonight and try to listen for any sounds coming from the egg. About when do you thing Mama Hen will take her chicks and abandon those 2 eggs if they don't hatch?

Probably in the later morning when the chicks become active looking for food and water.
I candled the 2 eggs and they are very developed but they are not internally or externally pipped. So does that mean they won’t hatch?

I candled the 2 eggs and they are very developed but they are not internally or externally pipped. So does that mean they won’t hatch?
When candling, if the border between the air cell and chick forms a distinct line/edge the chick may still be alive. If that edge is fuzzy, faded, or blurred the chick has died. If unsure put the eggs under the hen until tomorrow and candle them again. The air cell membrane deteriorates rapidly once the chick has died.

When candling, if the border between the air cell and chick forms a distinct line/edge the chick may still be alive. If that edge is fuzzy, faded, or blurred the chick has died. If unsure put the eggs under the hen until tomorrow and candle them again. The air cell membrane deteriorates rapidly once the chick has died.
Ok I will candle them again tomorrow

Ok I will candle them again tomorrow
The chicks should be strong enough, now, to leave the nest. If the nest is off the ground/floor or in a nest where the chicks can not exit easily, make a simple nest on the floor, move the chicks into it, followed by the broody hen. If you have other chickens present, move the new family to safer quarters and provide food and water in low/shallow containers. Good luck.

The chicks should be strong enough, now, to leave the nest. If the nest is off the ground/floor or in a nest where the chicks can not exit easily, make a simple nest on the floor, move the chicks into it, followed by the broody hen. If you have other chickens present, move the new family to safer quarters and provide food and water in low/shallow containers. Good luck.
Thanks, I have Mama Hen and chicks separated in a Broody Coop. She took them out this morning to eat and drink. The other 2 eggs, one had a really big air cell but had a fuzzy faded line. The other one was completely dark. Yesterday I could see the air cell but now that egg is completely dark.

Back
Top Bottom