How long after when a baby chicken chirps inside the egg ,will it hatch

Pics
You guys are the best. I have 19 eggs in my incubator on day #20. Was checking the humidity before turning in and I thought I heard chirping. At first I thought I was going a little crazy, then I thought maybe it's a baby bird outside. Then I heard it again. Of course I had to say hello and guess who chirp again! It is amazing, just amazing. I never would have dream that a chick chirps before hatching.

I went online to the backyardchickens website and of course I found this thread. You guys are the best resource a newbie can ask for. This is my second hatch, the first time I had my incubator in the basement, this time it's in one of my kitchen cabinets.

Wish me luck tomorrow.

Daniel

welcome-byc.gif

The hatching process takes quite awhile as the chick will first "pip internally", i.e. into the air sac, so it can breathe. From there it will pip through the shell and eventually start "zipping" the shell open and complete the hatch. Most chicks will pip through the shell before they are ready to come out of the egg. They pip so they can get fresh air and get used to breathing properly. After pipping they will take a break and absorb the remaining yolk in the egg and the blood in the vessels in the membrane around them. This process can take up to 24 hours and some even longer, so don't worry if it seems the chick is taking too long and don't be tempted to help it hatch unless it's obvious that the chick is not going to make progress (after at least 30 hours). Here is an excellent article on assisted hatch that explains and illustrates the hatching process:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Good luck with your hatch and keep us posted!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP EMERGENCY!! I was candling my egg and I saw that the air sack is BROKEN into the egg! I can't hear any chirping and I still see faint blood vanes! I don't know what to do! There's also a chip on the OUTSIDE shell but I still see a white thin sheet under the chip! What is happening??! I don't know what day my chick is on! PLEEEEEEEASEE HELP!!

I know this may be a little late but that all sounds normal to me. When the air sac looks "broken" that is the internal pip, the chick will break the membrane surrounding it so that it can get it's beak into the air cell to breath. Usually you will see one or two bumps on one side of the air cell, that is the chicks beak. Sometimes you will be able to see them breathing. At this point, you shouldn't be messing with the eggs unless you truly believe they are in distress (you'll know after a few hatches).
The blood veins will be visible until just prior to the chick actually hatching. One of the reasons there is so much time in between internal pip to hatching is because the chick is absorbing the blood vessels and yolk, basically just preparing to enter the world.
The chip on the outside is the external pip, the chick does this when it starts running out of air in the air cell. And the thin white sheet is just one of the membranes inside the egg. There are two, one that surrounds the chick tightly, and another that basically sticks to the inside of the shell, you will see bits of the outermost one once they pip externally and zip through the shell.

Hope this helps, and I hope you had a healthy chick hatch!

Back
Top Bottom