How long after when a baby chicken chirps inside the egg ,will it hatch

Now both of my eggs have a crack in the egg since 11 am today. Im so "excited, I cant do anything but watch "them, lol

Holly4: I am excited for you! I want to try incubating some chicken eggs this spring. I have to make an incubator first. Did you make your incubator, or did you buy? What are you hatching? Good luck, send some pics of your babies when they hatch.

Ok its been 10 hrs since my 2 bantam eggs have cracked there shell. Im wondering if they would b here soon .they have chirpped off and on all day, its so awesome to hear such a wonderful thing.:))

[/IMG]ns.com/content/type/61/id/5523941/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/IMG]

:welcome

The hatching process takes quite awhile as the chick will first "pip internally", i.e. into the air sac, so it can breathe. From there it will pip through the shell and eventually start "zipping" the shell open and complete the hatch. Most chicks will pip through the shell before they are ready to come out of the egg. They pip so they can get fresh air and get used to breathing properly. After pipping they will take a break and absorb the remaining yolk in the egg and the blood in the vessels in the membrane around them. This process can take up to 24 hours and some even longer, so don't worry if it seems the chick is taking too long and don't be tempted to help it hatch unless it's obvious that the chick is not going to make progress (after at least 30 hours). Here is an excellent article on assisted hatch that explains and illustrates the hatching process:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Good luck with your hatch and keep us posted!

Thanks for this link, I found it a while back just didn't save it. Now it on the bookmark list.

You guys are the best. I have 19 eggs in my incubator on day #20. Was checking the humidity before turning in and I thought I heard chirping. At first I thought I was going a little crazy, then I thought maybe it's a baby bird outside. Then I heard it again. Of course I had to say hello and guess who chirp again! It is amazing, just amazing. I never would have dream that a chick chirps before hatching.

I went online to the backyardchickens website and of course I found this thread. You guys are the best resource a newbie can ask for. This is my second hatch, the first time I had my incubator in the basement, this time it's in one of my kitchen cabinets.

Wish me luck tomorrow.

Daniel

Back
Top Bottom