1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long before they lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Camprz, May 1, 2011.

1. Camprz

Camprz New Egg

May 1, 2011
    I'm just looking into getting chicks for the first time (love this site [​IMG]) and I can't find any place that says how long it takes before a chicken actually starts to lay eggs. Thanx-

2. Pairie Faring

Pairie Faring Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Dodge City
    [​IMG] from Kansas! they average between 20 and 25 weeks before they lay but they often have a mind of their own on this particular subject!

3. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    Usually between 5 & 6 months of age. Some breeds do lay sooner Like White Leghorns start to lay between 4 1/2 and 5 months.

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Golden Comets start regularly at 16-17 weeks. Thus, a reason we love them so. And they are so docile.

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    It does depend on the breed of chicken, some of the sex link breeds start early while those like EE's can take longer. hatchery birds start around 20 weeks where some breeders birds can start later.

6. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    What breeds are you getting???

7. Camprz

Camprz New Egg

May 1, 2011
    Thank you for all the input... Went to the feed store today and looked at them, they had Rhode Island Reds.

8. RRHomestead

RRHomestead Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Thank you for this exact post! Just what I was looking for. My best friend in Arkansas who has tons of chickens had told me (based on their age when I got them) that my chickens would start laying at the end of August. We don't have them in their permanent coop yet, and at the moment I haven't given them nesting boxes (and there's no good place to put one!). I was getting nervous that they weren't laying because I hadn't given them a place to! Now I know we're a few weeks shy yet, and I still have time to get their big coop together. Except maybe my leghorn...keeping my eye on her. :)

9. JMEnglund

JMEnglund New Egg

Apr 26, 2014
    I am new to this too. First chicks bought 4/5/14 :) I have read/heard 20-24 weeks

10. papaclark

papaclark Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2014
    jackass flats, arizona
    This is the same question I was about to ask. I have Brown Leghorns, Blue Wyandottes, and Cuckoo Marans all born the first week in March. I was 20 weeks, but wasn't told it varied by breed. They already have nesting boxes, but I'm not putting straw in them yet, just pine shavings. I figured the 4th of July (18 weeks) I'd start giving them layer feed. Should I start earlier because some start earlier or just go with SOP and see how things work out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by