How long before you introduce new chicks to the flock

3- CHICKS

Chirping
Mar 19, 2021
How many weeks before it is safe to allow the older hens around the new babies? I have three new chicks about three weeks old. My three hens are just over a year old. I've read they should be around 16-20 weeks.

Are there any tips or tricks to make the two coincide with a peaceful transfer. I am afraid the older ones hurting the younger ones. We are in the process of building a bigger brand new home for all of them.

Once it warms up outside and they are around three months I thought I would put them in older area and transfer the hens to the new build. Should I keep the babies separate until they are four or five months old?

How many weeks before it is safe to allow the older hens around the new babies? I have three new chicks about three weeks old. My three hens are just over a year old. I've read they should be around 16-20 weeks.

Are there any tips or tricks to make the two coincide with a peaceful transfer. I am afraid the older ones hurting the younger ones. We are in the process of building a bigger brand new home for all of them.

Once it warms up outside and they are around three months I thought I would put them in older area and transfer the hens to the new build. Should I keep the babies separate until they are four or five months old?
I introduce my chicks to the adult flocks at the age of 3½ - 4 months old, 5 months at the latest.

Are there any tips or tricks to make the two coincide with a peaceful transfer. I am afraid the older ones hurting the younger ones.

Here is one idea:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/

I have seen a few other articles with similar ideas, too.

The basic idea is to have a place where the chicks can go but the adult hens cannot. That way the chicks can come out and mingle with the adults when they feel safe, but run away if they need to.

Here is one idea:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/

I have seen a few other articles with similar ideas, too.

The basic idea is to have a place where the chicks can go but the adult hens cannot. That way the chicks can come out and mingle with the adults when they feel safe, but run away if they need to.
Great article. It gave me ideas to try. Thank you posting it. It's why I love this site so much. Everyone is friendly and helpful.

I start to integrate around 5 to 6 weeks. The chicks have a safe space where the older can't get them, with chick size pop doors and I let them integrate themselves.
You guys are awesome. I would have never thought of the chick safe place without you. This method is more natural and they mingle freely when they want to. Thank you for replying.

Well, no, not for nothing. The bigger birds can definitely harm the littles.

I'll be doing this in a few months, and yup, I'm a bit anxious about it too.
They posted on article on one of the replies. It is fantastic. It will give you ideas of placing the babies in safely, giving them a place to run to. While the older hens can still get used to being around them.

I am feeling your anixity and hope you find it as helpful as I do.

Back
Top Bottom