How long can adult ducks stay in the water?

localife

Chirping
Mar 13, 2015
Does anyone know how long adult ducks can stay on water?

I've got a duckling with some leg issues (she got stepped on a number of times by much larger sibling), who swims like a champ and LOVES the water, and I am trying to weigh quality of life issues for her -- she doesn't seem to be in any pain, she eats like horse, her legs are functional once she's up on them, she can stretch them out and sometimes even get them under herself (but that is clearly hard for her to do). Right now I give her as many opportunities to swim as I can, and she is wildly happy the whole time.

So I got to thinking, is it possible to provide such a duck (when she is fully feathered) with a habitat that is mostly water so that she can more easily get around? How much time do they need out of the water?

Does anyone know how long adult ducks can stay on water?

I've got a duckling with some leg issues (she got stepped on a number of times by much larger sibling), who swims like a champ and LOVES the water, and I am trying to weigh quality of life issues for her -- she doesn't seem to be in any pain, she eats like horse, her legs are functional once she's up on them, she can stretch them out and sometimes even get them under herself (but that is clearly hard for her to do). Right now I give her as many opportunities to swim as I can, and she is wildly happy the whole time.

So I got to thinking, is it possible to provide such a duck (when she is fully feathered) with a habitat that is mostly water so that she can more easily get around? How much time do they need out of the water?
They can spend alot of time on water But for a special needs duck she will need to be able to get in and out very easy. ramps inside the pool or what ever you use and outside too so she can easily walk in and out. Especially if she doesn't keep her feathers in pristine shape she could get water logged and drown.

Thanks for your reply! I am a little addicted to making special animal enclosures and things, so I'm thinking about a sloped edged pond for her at ground level.... It just seems like she could be so happy if she can choose to spend most of her time in the water.

As long as she has a choice and is able to get in an out easy I think your going about it in the right way. When you finish with her area please post pics I'd love to see how it turned out.

Back
Top Bottom