How long can baby chicks survive in the mail????

In so sorry for the loss of your chicks. Did you contact Meyer? Are they going to replace your chicks? I live in ND and just ordered some chicks from Cackle for April delivery. I'm pretty nervous!

Please make sure you contact Meyer so they can make it right. Even if you don't want to chance another box of chicks, you could at least take some credit and buy some supplies or something :)

And I'm so sorry about those poor babies. I've ordered from several hatcheries and have never had a major problem. Good luck with your new peeps!

Please make sure you contact Meyer so they can make it right. Even if you don't want to chance another box of chicks, you could at least take some credit and buy some supplies or something
smile.png

And I'm so sorry about those poor babies. I've ordered from several hatcheries and have never had a major problem. Good luck with your new peeps!
Don't worry, I'm already in the process of getting the whole $123.21 refunded back to my credit card. And I'm thinking about getting a small order of about 6 in June to get a couple of the rare breeds I wanted, like the Blue Orpington or maybe something else. I'm not mad at the hatchery at all. They did everything right.

Last edited:
In so sorry for the loss of your chicks. Did you contact Meyer? Are they going to replace your chicks? I live in ND and just ordered some chicks from Cackle for April delivery. I'm pretty nervous!
Don't be too nervous. That kind of mistake is 1-in-100. Since it just happened to me, hopefully everyone else is safe for a while.

Our local post office is pathetic. They never get my FIL's mail delivered right. Someone dropped off mail one day (bills, junk mail, bank statements ranging from over two months to the present) at my FIL's house where it had all been delivered incorrectly over the course of two months and the person kept it and dropped it off. I have complained repeatedly. We get other peoples' mail and God only knows who gets ours. If they mess up my chick order, I will report them to the Post Office General. I called them yesterday and told them I am expecting a shipment that is due tomorrow. Of course, their "tracking" system is a joke...sure not like the UPS tracking system which can be tracked to the minute almost. Checking online using their "tracking" number, it still shows them from where they reached another destination PO two nights ago. I e-mailed them through their tracking system and told them how they are back in the pony express days and could take some lessons from UPS. No wonder they are going broke and closing some of the offices. They are incompetent. I called them yesterday and told them I am expecting a peeper delivery and I want a phone call immediately on arrival and they had better NOT take them out on the route and leave them in the car or set them out in the rain at my house, like they manage to do with packages all the time. I have some more horror stories to tell about the woman who delivers our mail but I won't go into it here.

As you said it is rare that these problems occur but they DO happen. I ordered through Meyers using Mypetchicken.com and I recieved my order two days ago. I probably spoke with the post office six times specifying exactly how the shipping was to be handled. I was to pick the chicks up from the post office as soon as they arrived, since my contact info was right on the front of the box. The same gentleman assured me over several phone calls that he was expecting my order to come in and would call me as soon as they did. They shipped on June23rd. I live in NJ and they ship out of Cleveland,Ohio. I tracked the box and could tell all seemed well. I could see via USPS website that they were in NJ by 3AM June24th EST. As soon as they opened I called the post office and reminded the gentleman today was the day etc. He assured he would call me when they came in. I continued to track the package but never got a call from my post office. I was very concerned. Several hours later I get a call from my housekeeper.: " The MAILMAN just dropped off a package and its chirping" ...... How they got shipped to my front door I will never know. I really didnt want them to have the added stress of that...but it was out of my hands..apparently more so than I thought. One chick, the German Appenzeller, arrived weak and listless and I do not expect it to survive (although I am still making a concerned effort ). the other 7 chicks are doing ok thankfully. The shipping chicks experience ranges from small mishaps like mine to major disasters like yours..I sympathize deeply with your situation and I can tell you would have provided a very caring home. I know myself and many others are wishing you all the luck in the world with your new chicks. - j

I could not believe it, but my local post office actually did a great job! The lady called me as I requested and left a voice mail on my cell phone as soon as they arrived (before the post office was officially open). They were all in great shape, with the exception of one chick which arrived dead. I checked them all and made up the electrolyte solution, dipped their beaks, and put out starter food for them. They all perked right up in their new home and started running around. They are doing fantastic. The only question I have is how will I get a replacement for my one chick from Meyer- there is a minimum order right now of three chicks, and also I don't know which breed it was that died in transit because I ordered five different breeds (30 chicks total), four of which are dark-colored (well, not sure about the Easter eggers)- Jersey Giants, Dominiques, and Barred Rock. So how does this usually work with the replacement chick? I'm not even sure how they would credit since they are slightly different prices. I would prefer the chick and am willing to order 2 or 3 more myself to make the minimum order if necessary to ensure survival- I see where they have chicks to be sent out this week, although I am a bit concerned about the July 4th holiday if there is any shipment delay because there would be now way they could survive if there was a one-day delay in transit since it would become a three-day delay with the holiday (or PO is closed on Saturdays). Any recommendations from the experienced folk out there? (I waited the required 48 hours after delivery to report the loss, but could not speak to someone yesterday at Meyer Hatchery since they were closed when I called- I sent them an e-mail to document the loss.) Sorry for the disorganized nature of this post!

Back
Top Bottom