How long can eggs stay in the nest?

SoTXChickenFarmer13

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Corpus Christi
My Rhode Island Red laid her first egg Friday, 6-30-11, and has laid through out this long holiday weekend, but now I have to go back to work tomorrow. She seems to lay around 10:00 am to 2:00 pm, and I won't be getting home from work until after 4:30 pm. My question is, with the weather being in the upper 90's in S.Texas this time of year, how can I be sure the eggs will still be good after a few hours in the heat?
Thanks in advance!
Jason

They'll be fine. I'm in FL and mine stay in the nest up to 24 hours (I work 20-hr shifts sometimes) and I've never had one go bad in that amount of time.

It is always 100-115 here and my girls are "late layers" as well. I don't collect eggs until 4-5pm and my eggs are always great. Yours will be fine. I had the same concern when mine first started laying.

Oops, I forgot...
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I have had eggs from in the yard of varying lengths...but not talking hours here, more like days. I also live in Texas, the Hill Country in fact, and it also breaks 100+ here daily and I have eaten eggs that I found out in the yard that had to of been there at least 5 days in the shade but still 100+ degree weather. Only reason I assume 5 days at least is because there was 18 eggs in the clutch with a few being laid in the nest boxes daily but not the right amount. We recently moved and haven't been able to set their coop up just yet so they lay in various places.

In short I have eaten eggs that are at least 5 days old and sat in 100+ degrees for the time and I have eaten an egg that has been on my counter (don't refrigerate our eggs) for at least 3 weeks. They will be great. Don't suggest it for everyone of course, use your common sense on smelly eggs or try the float test if in doubt. If the egg sinks it is safe, if it floats to top then the bacteria in it have started to release gases that will cause it to float to top...at least this is how I believe it goes but can find it easily on this site.

Back
Top Bottom