How long do chickens live?

I seldom have birds just drop dead. Usually there will be subtle changes in behavior like a sudden reduction in rank, feathers held to conserve more heat, feather maintenance failing, loss of appetite usually with loss of weight, drifting away from flock, and change in roost location. Changes usually notable several days before death.

Guys - I have a problem.  Regarding aging chickens.  I won't eat them, I don't eat meat BUT my husband does and he wants to "retire" them when they stop laying.  I take care of our chickens and I don't want to lose them, especially by human hands.  My husband says he wont support chickens that are not producing.  This makes me sick.  I have argued and argued.  My  9 chickens are going on 2 years old and laying great but I dread the day they stop.  Aside from going to the store and planting eggs in the coop for the next 15 - 20 years (which is what I had planned, LOL), is there such thing as a real sancuary for chickens to go?  I have no problem keeping mine but I'm worried about what my husband might do.

Sorry....but id be retiring the husband....not the chickens!

Last edited:
Our oldest hen, a bardrock lived to 13, our average hen lives 8 to 10 years. This is based on about 30 years of having backyard hens. Tumors and cancer do seem to take most of them. I started with three hens and every other year I add two to three chicks. This way I always have a mixed age group and continue getting eggs. With a flock of 10 to 13, it has been a good formula to keep the age of the flock varied and steady supply of eggs.

I always found our store brought chooks lived on average 6-8 years with 4-5 years production but our broody hatched chicks lived 12-15 years with 10-12 years production, I think it's to do with nutrition of the laying hens and how the chicks are managed in thier first week of live.

That is an interesting theory...

I agree; that is a very interesting theory!

Here is my oldest white leg horn hen. She is over 17 yrs old. She looks a little "rough" & I have been thinking, (every day for the last 3 years), that she is going to die today. She is still here and happy!
P.S. She still lays an egg about once a week.

Last edited:
I had chickens that were 13 1/2 yrs. old. My last old bird died just a couple months ago. They become your family and it's hard to lose them when you had them since they were 1day old. I did get new ones, they are 1and 2 yrs old. It's fun having them and watching them play and do silly things. I keep mine as pets, love the eggs but when they get older and no longer lay eggs, they get to live their lives out. I could not eat mine. They are spoiled rotten and I love it. Have fun with yours.

Yep, pet chickens can live up to 15 even 20 years if they make it though all the dangers in life.

They are "snacks" to a huge range of predators.

Often carry genetics that do not confer longivity, such as the propensity to have tumors and cancer or other health problems because parents were all bred young and no selection for longer life has taken place

Can be susceptible to sickness as they age.

However, with the right care and living in fort knox, they should easily get into their teens IF they do not come down with tumors or other health issues before then.

Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy your new babies!

Back
Top Bottom