How Long Do You Let Your Frozen Turkey Thaw In The Fridge?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
We'll be getting around a 23-25 lb turkey. Just wondering how long to let it thaw in the fridge before Thanksgiving...
My mother is telling me a week in the fridge... but..eh... that seems like a long time to let it sit uncooked in the fridge...
Thanks!

I usually get about a 20 pounder or so and I always put it into the fridge the Sunday before Thanksgiving. I prep on Wed. night and they're always thawed, sometimes a little ice yet inside but nothing that doesn't just rinse out.

it's 24 hours for every 5lb. of meat.

btw, I just pulled my 40lb. turkey out of the freezer to place in the fridge to thaw, had to lower the shelf to get it in there

does any body have a huge turkey roasting pan? you know, 24x18?

Quote:
Gahhhh! 40lbs!!
lau.gif
I know where i'm going for Thanksgiving!
How do you even fit that sucker in the oven?
Yeah..i can imagine you not having a pan big enough for him!... I cant even find one big enough a 25lb'er...
roll.png

my mom had a pan big enough when I was a kid, wish I knew what happened to it. yes it barely fits in the oven, last year my turkeys weighed 35lbs. I waited to long to process my turkeys this year.

My husband's mother used to buy turkeys at the first sale in the first week of November and stick it in the refigerator until Thanksgiving...give or take two to three weeks sitting there. UGH! Suprisingly, no one got sick but two years ago, her turkey was pink in the middle and they went ahead and ate that. Glad I wasn't there.

A week in the coldest part of the refigerator isn't bad at all for a large turkey.

Back
Top Bottom