How long do you quarantine for?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brettzim, Sep 12, 2012.

1. brettzim

brettzim Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    11 days ago a hen relatively new to my flock had a runny nose and raspy breathing. I quarantined her and gave her sulmet in her water for two days. It took a couple days for her breathing to get back to normal and now she only has a slight amount of dampness in her nostrils. a few days after I pulled her out I noticed another new gal (both from the same place a couple weeks ago) with the same symptoms. So I pulled her as well. She still has the raspy breathing so will stay quarantined until she improves. But, how do I know when I can put the first hen back with the flock? I am not sure what they have. I just had two poultry vet visits, unrelated, so I would prefer to not add a third. I am hoping electrolytes, vitamins, rest and the sulmet will do the trick on the gurgly breathing and snot.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I quarantine poultry for 30 days. During that time the birds get medication for worms, lice, and observed for any illness and are treated accordingly.

By quarantine I mean the new birds are housed separately at least 100 yards from the existing flock and equipment that touches the new birds stays with the new birds. I change clothing, shoes, wash hands and so forth after handling the new birds. I also make a point of handling new stock after I've handled the original flock. In other words I feed, water, clean the original flock. Then I change clothes, shoes, wash hands and arms to take care of the new flock.

3. brettzim

brettzim Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Thank you for the helpful response.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Treating newly acquired birds for a respiratory diseases doesnt cure them from the diseases. They will be carriers and will pass it on to the original flock eventually. It's a recipe for disaster no matter how long they're quarantined. I recommend that you cull the sick birds.

5. farhaS

farhaS New Egg

Sep 13, 2012
    One of my peahen is sneezing and making strange sounds like she is coughing or clearing her throat! Is she unwell or just stressed as I got her just a week ago to add to my flock ( two male and one female) need help please!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by