How long does broodiness last

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jtn42248, Aug 2, 2014.

1. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

I have a Columbian Wyandotte that has gone broody. She has picked a nest dead center in the top of a three level nest station to be broody in. She is not in the way and everyone else is just ignoring her. I take her out of the nest two or three times a day and she just sits there for a while then goes and eats, drinks some water then back to the nest again. This is the third day of this behavior. How long does broodiness last? I really don't want to isolate her but also don't want to have her get sick with frustration.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    A natural broody cycle can last anywhere from a day to a month. You should try and break her if you are not wanting chicks or don't have fertile eggs. Keep taking her out of the nest, take all eggs out, put a frozen water bottle in or put her in a crate.

3. jtn42248

My coop has two runs attached. I could put her in the smaller one of those all day tomorrow and see if that helps. I will put food and water and maybe a treat as well. Should I put a couple of other hens in with her or just leave her by herself?

4. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    My EE goes broody way to much. It's frustrating. I love her beautiful green eggs and I have to do without them so often. What I find that helps break her faster is putting her on the roost at night.
    Good luck

5. jtn42248

An update on my broody Columbian Wyandotte. I decided to just let it run its course and that seems to be working. I have been taking her out of the nest a couple of times a day to eat and drink water which she does and then goes right back to the nest. Yesterday she came out on her own to free range for a bit. However, this a.m. she came out of the nest on her own to eat and I noticed that one of her wings seemed to be sticking out a little like she had hurt it or something. I quietly picked her up to see what was wrong and the wooden egg from one of the other nests dropped to the ground. The silly thing had stolen a wooden egg from another nest and was carrying it around with her so I would not see it. Clever little things these chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by