How long does it take for a chick to grow feathers back after they've been peck by others?

JandLPetFarm

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
I have 6, 5 week old chicks (2 are Barred Rocks and the other 4 I'm not sure, I think they are Red Stars but I could be wrong) and the Barred Rocks have been pecking at the reds. I came home from work yesterday and one of the Reds was pecked all over with a lot of feathers missing. I ended up separating that one and one other red that had its bottom pecked to individual spaces. I am wondering how long it will take for the birds to heal and when can I put them back with the flock? I moved the other 4 into the chicken coop out back but left the two injured ones inside to be monitored. I read about buying blukote to help with the injuries, does this work? The Barred Rocks seem to be the culprits, do I separate them from the 4 reds? Any help would be great, I am new to raising chicks and don't want to see them hurt or killed.

Here is a photo of what she looks like this morning (pecking happened yesterday evening)

As you can see the back and tail has been pecked. (also unable to see the neck as well has been pecked)

Last edited:
a few weeks
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom